Eighth of January

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Eighth of January

Postby dbennett » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 am

For those of you who remember Johnny Horton singing the Battle of New Orleans you’ll recognize this old fiddle tune, Eighth of January

On January 8, 1815, Major General Andrew Jackson led a small, poorly-equipped army to victory against eight thousand British troops at the Battle of New Orleans. The anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans was widely celebrated with parties and dances during the nineteenth century.

A traditional fiddle tune commemorating the event came to be known as “Jackson’s Victory” or “Eighth of January.”

The melody is based on a well-known American fiddle tune “The 8th of January,” which was the date of the Battle of New Orleans.

Later, Jimmy Driftwood, a school principal from Arkansas with a passion for history, set an account of the battle to this music in an attempt to get students interested in learning history. The result was, “The Battle of New Orleans“. The song has been recorded by many people including Johnny Horton, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams Jr.
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Eighth of January

Postby dbennett » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 am

I ran across this on YouTube and thought it was fitting:
Eighth of January (and dulcimer lesson)
dbennett

Postby dbennett » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 am

I always liked this tune, but even more so when I got married because my father-in-law was born on 8 January 1912, just 97 years after the battle. I always figured when he was born there were probably people alive that were around in 1812-1815.
dbennett

Postby dholeton » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks David
I bring Eighth Of January out every year to play at the nursing home and the residents love it.

Also, the Eighth Of January is the birthday of Elvis, so we do some Elvis songs too. Here's a nice video with Aura Lee on mountain dulcimer.

Dave

dholeton

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion