What's your ability?

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Postby dingoII » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:34 pm

Would someone look memorerize up in the dictionary for me please?
dingoII
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby woods » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Originally posted by dingoII Would someone look memorerize up in the dictionary for me please?
Not found. Wink
woods
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Ability?

Postby longbowman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:09 pm

LOL! I answered the last category because I do instruct and I have performed for money. That being said, I don't consider myself as being any where near "good". I know a lot of musicians who are extremely good and I've heard many of the top MD players out there and there's so many that are good at what they play that I don't think I'll ever consider myself as being "good". I do find it very interseting to listen to other MD players because each of them seem to have something individual that they add to the playing. I've tried to add a lot of things to my playing that I hear from others and it usually ends up being a nice myriad of styles all thrown in to one.
longbowman
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Peter Alway » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:10 pm

I picked the middle category, but I'm not sure if that is legitimate. You see, I don't have any repertoire, I just embellish. I fancy myself a composer, but that's really more because I can't make it through any real songs, so I fake it from start to finish. There is a fine line between creativity and poor memory, and I'm not sure which side I am on. All I can say is that I'm not an absolute beginner, and that I have never been paid to play, nor have I been recorded except in passing.
Peter Alway

Postby Sheila » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:04 pm

I put pmyself down as an intermediate, though I think that I am more of an advanced player (on HD). I have plenty of experience, though I don't think 'talent' describes me!LOL!
Sheila

Postby SMO » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:02 am

I really consider folks like Gary Gallier, etc., to be the professionals, but I put myself there because I do teach and am paid for teaching and performing (sometimes it even covers expenses). I have played on one recording and my wife and I are considering doing a CD of our own.
SMO

Postby Nathan Lee McAlister » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:45 am

I ain't afraid. I picked the professional category. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I have met all 3 qualifications though. -Nathan-
Nathan Lee McAlister
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby SteveK » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:55 am

I put myself in the fourth category although friends of mine might dispute that. I have played in a couple of bands and we were paid-more or less. I don't have a huge repetoire, though, so maybe I'm partway between three and four. Steve
SteveK

Postby Sarah » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:03 am

I didn't vote because I fit partially into several different categories, but not fully into any. 'Beyond Beginner' fits because I don't do much fancy stuff, mostly just basic melodies on fiddle tunes (sometimes very fast, as I play for contra dances) with an occasional harmony note tossed in, or I just play simple chord patterns as back-up for songs. But then I suppose I have a 'good repertoire' because I know a couple hundred tunes by memory, so maybe I'm an 'Intermediate.' I don't think I'm 'Accomplished' (I've only been playing 3 1/2 years, so I don't have 'much experience', and although I love music and am very persistent in learning it, I don't really have 'talent'.) But I'm 'Professional' because I've received money to play on several occasions (never solo, though), and I've recorded some dulcimer tracks for my friends' CD that might someday get finished. Defying categorization (or maybe just weirdRolled Eye ), Sarah
Sarah

Postby dulcimerman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:27 am

Beyond beginner-playing simple melodies/chords I am beyond beginner, playing since '74 or '75 although I only play melodies and droan. I don't like the sound of chords. ( I love the droan, this is what drew me to the mt dulcimer) Intermediate-good repertoire, using embellishments Many years ago my father ask how many songs I could play, I think at the time I knew over 200 I have forgotten some and learned others Accomplished-much experience, talent Playing since the 70's, I guess that is experience. talent debatable, I can't read music or tab. I think I hear good so far. Music theory, what is that? Professional-receive $/instruct/recorded Never received money, seem like some one offered me a dollar not to play once. Recorded, yes there are tapes in several states with my music on them due to the Tape Pal music club I belong to. I sure don't fit any where in this poll
Last edited by dulcimerman on Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dulcimerman
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Rating

Postby VEARL » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:35 am

I picked advanced beginner. My age puts me in the advanced section My ability to play puts me in the beginner section. I am having fun doing both at the same time. Sure I would like to be a better player, and with more practice I will be better. I enjoy learning a new song and the time spent on getting it right. I don't worry about sounding like a beginner, hovever I do love to hear people play who are better than I. I see it as a goal to reach.
VEARL
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby dulcimerman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:56 am

Hey VEARL You got the idea there, they left out a category in the poll. They left out the most important one. Having Fun This is where I fit.
dulcimerman
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion