What are your musical aspirations?

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Postby folkfan » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:19 pm

I'm a hobbiest, though I do love learning all I can about the instrument. I just can't use most of what I've learned. hehehee I know my limitations and stick with what I can do and can enjoy doing. Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ardenvoir » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:45 pm

I voted "other", 'cause it's a combination. I do it for fun, but I want to learn all I possibly can so I can get better. I don't just want to play for myself, I aspire to play with and for others for fun. Don't like the spotlight, but I do like the fun of it. And really, the spotlight isn't so bad when it's on several other people too!
Ardenvoir
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby baker12 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:51 am

I voted "other" because all of the categories fit what I'm doing with music. I absolutely love to perform in public, and I've made a decent amount of change doing it. I also love to play in church and I especially love the old hymns. I am a serious student of musical instruments, although not only on the dulcimer. Playing the dulcimer is fun, so I would also consider it a hobby. But most of all I am trying to make a living out of music. I do booking for a venue, and I'm about to get involved in an artist agency where I will be booking for a band/bands. I honestly get more thrill out of the anticipation of a booked show, the performance, and audience approval than I do out of just performing my own instrument for the same audience.
baker12
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby jakstall » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:00 am

I listed myself as "hobbyist - happy to play for myself" since that is mostly what I do. I am also a "serious student" trying to learn all I can, but I'll never be a performer. I do jam with others at times and have also played in public, but mostly I play to amuse myself and annoy my kids.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby SusanFaye » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:38 am

I voted other also because too many of the options apply. I love to play with others to entertain and educate people about the dulcimers. I try to learn and get better every day which is a uphill climb for me. I can't help but have fun every time I play that is a given! I will never be a working for pay musician, I haven't got enough years left to get that good!!!
SusanFaye

Postby jewood51 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:16 am

Everything fits except Performing Artist. I have enjjoyed playing for myself for more years than I like to admit (mostly on the piano except for the last year and a half). Being a school teacher (Jr. High) for over thirty years, I still fnd it exciting to teach something to others and this is very easy with the mountain dulcimer. I love the instrument, the sound, and am learning to really appreciate old time music. My favorite music over the years has been jazz, but not to the exclusion of other styles of music. Just received Lois' book on Cajun a couple of weeks ago and am having a wonderful time with it. Cheers. Smile
jewood51

Postby Guitar Jim » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:57 pm

Last edited by Guitar Jim on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guitar Jim
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby kwl » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:05 pm

I voted for other for the same reasons as Missy. I am also a dulc-evangelist. I enjoy spreading information about dulcimers.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dingoII » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:12 pm

I just want to play like Robert Force, Aaron O'Rouke, Mary Cox, and Crow! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!
dingoII
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Peter Alway » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:26 pm

My ambition--well my fantasy, anyway--is not to be a performer so much as a composer. I enjoy playing for myself, but what I really like is making up music. I'm a little ambivalent about playing in public--largely because it is hard for me to do things right in real time. I like preparing things in my own time. The biggest high I've gotten from music is not from playing, but from hearing others join in playing or singing my music. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, I'm transported. Even rarer (maybe once) and better, is when someone has played it without me having to lift a finger. I love what a real performer can do with my notes, magically bringing them to life, and from the pure ego-boost standpoint, the idea that someone put forth the effort to put their magic into something I did makes me feel like I matter. The dulcimer itself isn't central to this fantasy--it just happens to be my voice--the way I can play my music myself.
Peter Alway

Postby Sheila » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:06 pm

How about 'all of the above'?!LOL! Though I wouldn't say that I 'love the spotlight' - I just don't mind it!Rolled Eye
Sheila
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion