Christmas newsletters

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Christmas newsletters

Postby Mistydawn » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:47 pm

Do you send them? Receive them? How do you feel about them?
Mistydawn
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:36 pm

I like the newsletters. It allows me to keep track of what the nieces and nephews are doing and how everyone faired the past year with their health and if I should remove a persons name from my card list because of divorce or what ever reason. I have a cousin who sends a letter about her travels all over the world and I get to go along on her travels by reading her letters. One year I even got to walk on top of the trees in a rain forest! EEK! It was great, I didn't even have to worry about the mosquito bites that she got! LOL! My hubby calls these brag letters but really, I think that if you're writing a newsletter, that is what it is about, what you did the past year. This year, I was going to write S.O.S. down the middle of a piece of paper you know Same Old Stuff since we didn't do anything different this year than we did last year, but I didn't do that, I just wrote a boring letter and highlighted that our son got married so they could all add a new name to their newsletter list. Wink Cheers, Kathy Smile
Kathy

Postby Davef » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:15 pm

We have friends from college and such from many years ago that we don't see very often so it does give us an opportunity to hear how their families have grown.
Davef

Postby KenH » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:35 pm

Nothing wrong with "brag letters" but personally I think they should more often than once a year. It's as if that's all the person wanted to give you was this pat-the-back letter. No thought of you at other times of the year - just the obligatory once a year memory dump.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby marcy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:56 pm

I don't feel any personal connection with a newsletter. It might be nice to hear how someone has been doing this year, but it feels like overhearing gossip instead of a conversation really intended for me. I don't write them either. I haven't even sent cards in years. Sometimes I think it would be good for me to make the effort... but it takes a lot of energy (at least it does if I don't want to just sign my name a bunch of times) and has no feedback (who ever *answers* Christmas cards / letters anymore) so it's hard to feel it's worthwhile. If I ever get back into it, I think I'd do a New Year's letter instead. It seems to better fit the "here's a summary of my year" theme.
marcy

Postby Marc Mathieu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi & Season's Greetings to all !! We've been sending Xmas newsletters in our Xmas cards for the past 3 yrs or so. Before that, Wendy used to write a note in each Xmas card, and found it to be very time consuming, and often repetitious. It's much easier to compose one letter on the computer, (we each contribute our 2?), print a bunch on Christmas stationary paper & put them in the Xmas cards. A lot more info fits on a full 8x11 page, than the space provided in a Christmas card. We really enjoy receiving them too !
Marc Mathieu

Postby woods » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:19 pm

I'm pretty much for them. Although I have to admit that I like them short and to the point — like everything I read. The one we write has to be a single page in 12 point font and with 1.5 inch side margins. We don't put everything in, 'cause a lot of it's really only interesting to us. We just put in the highlights our family and friends might like to know. Got one from a family member that reads like a book. Far, far too much verbage. Tedious to read. Do it just for love of the person. But I wish I could convey to 'em that it's really not necessary to tell us every time their nose itched!! Wink Oh well. Conclusion: I wish there was a standard for writing them!
woods

Postby tentmaker » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:36 pm

We exchange news via our Christmas letter with a multitude of friends we made during our 28 years in the USAF. My wife adds a personal note in the card so folks get a "warm fuzzy" along with the news. For some of our friends this is our continuing contact for friends we have not seen face to face in over 35 years.
Last edited by tentmaker on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tentmaker

Postby Mistydawn » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:20 pm

I did my first one this year & tried not to make it sound braggy- just included the factual highlights of the year, good & bad. I also included personal handwritten notes on the cards. Like Woods, I kept it to 1 page w/large font & decorative borders. Doing cards is one of my favorite holiday traditions even though it's very time consuming. I'd prefer to receive an update from people rather than just a signed card with not even a single handwritten note.
Mistydawn

Postby Ardenvoir » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:34 pm

They are better than NOTHING, I guess! I would prefer something more personal though. (I've never sent one, but I do get a couple.)
Ardenvoir

Postby Sheila » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:54 pm

Some I like, some I don't. Some are just 'brag' letters, others actually let me know what is happening in the life of people I don't see very often. I no longer send out cards or newsletters. When I get newsletters, I try to send out a personal letter (preferably by email!) to the senders. I HATE getting a card from someone I rarely see and it simply has their name signed! All that tells me is that they are still alive! Added by Edith - Do any of you send cards to your vet (or doctor, accountant or other professional)? I'm amazed at how many people send cards to the clinic! I would never have thought of doing that!
Last edited by Sheila on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheila

Postby Sarah » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:52 pm

Originally posted by Sheila I HATE getting a card from someone I rarely see and it simply has their name signed! All that tells me is that they are still alive!
I agree! Although I appreciate the ''I'm thinking of you'' thought that a card represents, I'm really disappointed to open it and find just a signature. The card itself is rarely of such beauty or humor that it touches me -- I'd rather the person donate the $2 they spent on the card and postage to a charity, and send me an email instead. I MUCH prefer the page-long photocopied newsletters, and the best of all is a newsletter with pictures and a personal note added. My husband and I both come from very large extended families. (We each have about 40 first cousins.) It's fun to get a yearly update and hear what the aunts, uncles, cousins, and cousins' kids have been doing. I particularly enjoy seeing pictures of faraway family and friends, especially of the kids, who grow and change so fast. However, I must admit that I am a hypocrite. I like receiving newsletters and photos, but I'm really bad about sending them. For some years we pretty regularly sent out a New Year's letter with a picture of the kids, but I think I've only sent one in the last six years.Rolled Eye Maybe we'll get our act in gear this year. If we delay the New Year's Letter until Jan. 4, AND if we find the digital camera (which someone lostMad! ) we can include a picture of our new puppy.Smile
Sarah

Next

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion