Metronome poll

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Postby tjcox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:31 am

Probably should use it more than I do.
tjcox
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:34 am

I play for singing so how I sing a song is the tempo I play it in so I never use a metronome. Shalom, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Ardenvoir » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:38 am

I would at least like to TRY playing for a dance some day, so I should probably use it more often!
Ardenvoir

Postby marcy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 am

I have never owned one, and so far it hasn't stopped me from playing for dances (albeit with groups) or recording or anything. I've seen how it has been helpful for some of my students, so kudos to them.
marcy

Postby Mistydawn » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:05 am

Originally posted by Mizzgnomer This is only vaguely connected to the poll but it's funny. In the game Everquest 2, I have a character that is going to be a bard. What is her name? Metra and she's a Gnome. Pun intended. EEK! Judy in Fl Tongue
There's also a little in-ear, beat-keeping device called a Metrognome.. I learned that here on ED!
Mistydawn

Postby GrrrGallier » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:41 am

I don't use a metronome, but I do use a drum machine as a click track, and so do some of the finest musicians in the world. In the dulcimer world, ask Steve Siefert...I've seen him just practicing a couple of times, getting his timing solid with metronome in ear. I practice this way as well. When you get on stage without the metronome it pays off. In the recording studio it is very important. Yes, music definitely needs flow, but practicing with a beat will teach you how to keep the flow steady and more precise....and that is what gives an audience the perception that a performance is tight. With some tunes, like Celtic Airs for example, it's ok for the timing to wander. But if the tune has a groove, you need to stay in it. I don't use a click on stage of course, but practicing with one will definitly improve your sense of timing. Drum machines...I don't know about metronomes...also have settings for "swing" in the beat if you choose, and of course a variety of drum sounds so you don't feel like you are playing with a clock. It can also be programed to do ethnic rhythms and has a ton of presets with various sycopations and the like. It's fun actually. Alesis makes the SR 16 which is about the size of a book, but is very full featured. I have it set up in my studio, but it's pretty easy to unplug and go play on the couch with it, running the output to a computer speaker. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick one up on Ebay for $100 or less. I think they retail for about $179. FWIW
GrrrGallier

Postby JerseyJerry » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:42 am

Originally posted by Mistydawn Add your comments.. what type you use, etc.
I use one on occasion...although I dread using it because a metronome can be tough to play to sometimes. Plus, it takes all the variation out of playing as you have to keep a precise tempo throughout the tune. But, I do rely on it from time to time because I have what I like to refer as "rhythm dyslexia"! er, I seem to march to the beat of a different drum LOL!
JerseyJerry
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby missy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:52 am

I have one from playing piano (it's a huge thing that runs on a 9V). We use it when TOM says I'M the one speeding up!!!LOL! I've also got one of the little ones that go in your ear - I can't use it, bothers me too much (and Tom can't hear it, so he still isn't on beat....LOL! ).
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby musicfan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 am

I use mine mostly for my piano practice. When I use it for my fiddle is when I'll be joining a group for a performance with no real rehearsal time and I want to be on with how the group plays it. As Mistydawn says it keeps you from stopping to correct the mistakes. In my piano literature class we've been studying about Chopin and one of my favorite comments about his playing was about how he took as much time as he needed while always staying on beat. I've never heard composed music with more give and flow than Chopin's but it always sounds best with a steady rhythmic pulse. In that a metragnome is useful in teaching you how to keep a steady beat as you learn the tune. Then once it's learned you can add the little nuances that come with the music. Mizzgnomer - I love your bard's name. Are to folks on Everquest getting the pun?
musicfan
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby RedBandanaGal » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:39 am

For a few days, I had a met downloaded on my computer, but I didn't much care for it. I am sure it'd be of some help to me, but I find it a bit irritating, as well LOL! So I deleted the program.
RedBandanaGal
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Have one...

Postby otterhere » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:03 pm

A "vintage" wooden Seth-Thomas from my girlhood piano lesson days but, even then, used it only to get an idea of the intended tempo of an unfamiliar piece... Once that's done, have a great sense of rhythm... Or so I've been told...
otterhere
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby LarryHicks » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:21 pm

Originally posted by JerseyJerry I have what I like to refer as "rhythm dyslexia"! er, I seem to march to the beat of a different drum LOL!
JerseyJerry, I like to say that I am just "rhythmically challenged", which goes well with being "legally tone deaf". When three or more are playing, isn't every song just a race to see who can get to the last note first? LOL! Larry
LarryHicks

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion