Hat poll

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Postby Peter Alway » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:43 am

I wear a beaten-up old straw had when I'm flying rockets out in the sun to keep the ultraviolet radiation from that great fusion reactor in the sky from killing and mutating skin cells. Other than that, I never wear a hat.
Peter Alway

Postby Davef » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:45 pm

I wore caps for years, I was a weldor by trade, but the last couple of years I have quit wearing one and I should because I have sunburnt my head several times.
Davef
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby modulcimer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:34 pm

I have worn ball caps or cowboys hats since my high school days. And thats been several, no many years ago. At one time I had over 200 caps in a collection. Since then have gotten rid of most of them. But still like wearing hats when outside. I'm with you Ken take off the hats when inside. Rod
modulcimer
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jakstall » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Former Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips was known for wearing a cowboy hat. However, he did not weat it at home games since the Oilers played in the Astrodome and Bum said his mama taught him to not wear a hat indoors.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Heidi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 pm

I like hats and think they are fun and functional. In the winter, they are a must, and I have quite a few in my collection, but I almost never where knit caps, cuz' I don't like them. A good summer hat is harder to find. I like a wide brim to keep off the sun, but the offerings are often too floppy and sloppy for my liking. Sometimes I wish I could where a ''sun bonnet sue'' hat. Who knows, maybe they'll start to make a fashion comeback. +++ Gentlemen take their hats off indoors. But that raises the question: Does a super-dome qualify as indoors?
Last edited by Heidi on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi

Postby Ardenvoir » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:33 pm

I forgot about those things that keep your head warm in the winter! LOL! I do have a couple of those, but otherwise I will only wear a hat or cap if I want to funkify my appearance... it has nothing at all to do with functionality.
Ardenvoir

Postby RedBandanaGal » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 pm

A pet peeve of mine: Take yer durned hat off when the National Anthem is playing or you are addressing the flag in any other fashion. I still see, thankfully, a lot of men still removing their hats for the anthem, but so many who do not. It ticks me off, and I know it bothers my dad, who 'til the day he dies will be all Red, White, and Blue! I've actually had one or two older men tip their hats to me a time or two! Not too many of THEM around! Then there's holding a door for a lady... I'm not all that adamant about that, but it's nice once in a while, and I've been surprised to discover a few of the younger men I've met who are quick to open the door for me or for any other gal. Chivalry hasn't completely died out with older men! Red.
RedBandanaGal
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Originally posted by Ardenvoir I forgot about those things that keep your head warm in the winter! LOL!
Kitty, this labels you as definitely NOT from where I'm from!LOL! Living in Interior Alaska, it would be hard to forget about keeping one's head warm in winter. My favorite winter hats are polar fleece -- warm but not itchy. When it's really cold, I pull the hood of my big parka up over the fleece hat, and my fleece neck gaitor up over most of my face. For summer, I wear a hat with a wide brim to keep the sun out of my eyes (otherwise I get a headache which makes me grumpyMad! ), and prevent sunburn. Not only are my face and ears in danger of burning, but I've burned the part in my hair before! It's really gross to have huge flakes of skin peeling off of one's head -- it looks like some sort of mutant dandruff.LOL! Because I have the sort of skin that just can't tan, I've been really good about using sunscreen in my adult life. A few years back a dermatologist remarked that she could tell I use sunscreen and said I had "excellent skin for a redhead of your age." (I THINK that was a compliment . . .Razz ) Oh yes, there's one hat use of mine that doesn't involve protection from the elements or fashion: I sometimes use a ''full-head visor'' (just a brim with no hat crown) when playing music with others to help reflect the sound from my own instrument into my ears. It really does help me hear myself better in a big group or a bad room.
Last edited by Sarah on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah

Postby Sheila » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Originally posted by redbandanagal A pet peeve of mine: Take yer durned hat off when the National Anthem is playing or you are addressing the flag in any other fashion. I still see, thankfully, a lot of men still removing their hats for the anthem, but so many who do not. It ticks me off, and I know it bothers my dad, who 'til the day he dies will be all Red, White, and Blue! Red.
If you are ever at a NASCAR event, or watching one on TV, they always request men to remove their hats for the anthem. And if a man doesn't, he's likely to get it knocked off! Most NASCAR fans are like your dad - True Red, White, and Blue. My husband irked me for quite awhile because he started to wear his cap inside at restaurants and such. He complained that since he'd been wearing it all day, he had 'hat hair'!LOL! And they say women are vain! But I buzzed his hair recently, so he has no excuse now. No hair to be messy! I rarely wear hats unless I'm going to be in the sun for awhile, such as at a flea market, or a music festival. I 'made' a hat for the festivals - I took a wide-visored cap, and ironed on one of the logos from this site to the visor. I used the one that says "Dulcimer Pride". Then I have various dulcimer themed buttons pinned on the rest of the hat. Some of you saw it at the Ohio Valley Gathering in '05.
Sheila

I always wear a cap or hat

Postby SETexasDave » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:32 pm

as I work outdoors most of the time. I usually wear a driving cap to festivals, as it just feels comfortable. In my line of work I was forever recieving those caps with business names on them. At one time I had close to 300. They were multi coloured and many had Hawaiian prints Finally I had so many that I was tired of looking at them. So I boxed up all of the new ones and sent them to M.D. Anderson in Houiston, which is a cancer hospital, A friend had done the same thing in Little Rock, I think, and suggested it.They said that the children, especially, like all of the colours and seeing the different towns/states they come from. As far as wearing hats indoors goes....It just depends on the circumstances. Visiting someone...yes....Jam sessions are not so formal... so usually not. Occasionally I slip as I just forget it is there. I will not wear one while eating..indoors or out. I also take it off when I pull over for funeral processions, out of respect for the familys. I wish more folks did this.. I see more and more men, leave their hats on during the pledge and prayers as well...Men are even asked to remove their hat, when entering the Alamo...The way I was raised up, that is a given. Dave
Last edited by SETexasDave on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SETexasDave

Postby dulcimerman » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:45 pm

I have worn a hat as long as I can remember I was told that wearing a hat would cause me to be follically chlallenged as Tom says. Well golly gee they were right wouldn't you know!!!
dulcimerman
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Tin Ear » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:23 pm

I too have had a hat attraction as far back as I can remember. I can almost fell my Mother channeling through my fingers to tell all that I come to it honestly as I refused to use my training potty as I prefered to make a fashion statement by using the white bowl as a derby. LOL! LOL! LOL! I will blame it on the first adult TV show I can remember . (He wore a cane and derby hat they called him Bat ... Bat Masterson.) For the longest time in my adult life my signature bonnet was a newsboy wool/herringbone adorned with my Scottish clann badge. But since, for awhile, I haven't found a newsboy that fits my taste( they've gone wide ) I have a pork pie, a fedora plus a couple of ballcaps. My current favorite is my ED ball cap.
Last edited by Tin Ear on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tin Ear
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion