Anyone have L. Reilly's "Striking Out" book?

Stands, Cases, Hammers, Books, Recordings, Tuners, etc.

Anyone have L. Reilly's "Striking Out" book?

Postby flutinggnee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Does anyone have a copy of Lucille Reilly's "Striking Out & Winning Book" for sale? I'm interested in reading this but it's apparently out of print.
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Anyone have L. Reilly's "Striking Out" book?

Postby Marjorie Orr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 am

I know that Song of the Wood in Asheville NC had a copy the last time I was there but it has been a while. You might call them and ask. Here is their web address: http://www.songofthewood.com/index.html. My copy is currently loaned out so I don't have it to loan or sell.
Marjorie Orr
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby flutinggnee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks for the tip, Marjorie. I'll call them today.

******'

They had sold it. So, if any one has Reilly's "Striking Out and Winning" book they'd like to sell, let me know.
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby bluemoon72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

For the low, low price of only $274 (*eye roll*) you could buy it on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Striking-Out-Winn ... nd+winning

Sometimes, those crazy-high prices are the result of auto-bidding software that scouts for other listings and raises their price to a penny (or a dime, or a dollar, or whatever increment) above the next lowest price--sometimes these auto-bidders get into a feedback loop and keep increasing their prices based on the other auto-bidder increasing ITS prices. Anyway, might be worth emailing the listing seller and seeing if they'd accept a reasonable offer for the book instead of almost three hundred bucks. :)

**edited to add: There's a copy for $40 on Abe Books: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... nd+winning

*** one more edit! You can get it for $35 at Elderly Instruments' site: http://www.elderly.com/books/items/95-1.htm

Jennifer in St. Paul
bluemoon72
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby HDTuneweaver » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Did you ever find a copy of Lucille's book?
HDTuneweaver
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby max45cat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:47 pm

I have a copy of "Striking Out...and Winning!" that I would be willing to sell for $25 (that would include postage). It is in very good condition.
max45cat
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby besscrider » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:35 am

I have a copy of the book you want, purchased in 1998, the back cover has a small tear and there are some pencil marks on some of the tunes. You can have it for $15 plus shipping. (It has some really great tunes in it, but I do not like or recommend her technique, and personally have had to unlearn some things to become a better player.)
besscrider
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby flutinggnee » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks for the offers for the book. I've heard so many negative things about her method, that I've decided I don't need to invest in it after all.
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby JonW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm looking for copies of her book for several of my students. If you still have them for sale please PM me and we can make arrangements.

Thanks.

Jon Weinberg
JonW
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby flutinggnee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am

Okay, I've changed my mind. If anyone does have a copy of Lucille Reilly's "Striking Out" book, I would be interested in buying it from you. A friend said it is worthwhile--that I shouldn't be swayed by others' opinions. I'd like to see it myself to form my own opinion.

Thanks, Jeanie
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby bradleyi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 pm

I have a copy I'd gladly send you at no cost. The only hitch is that we're snow-birders presently in SC and the book is back in MI. We'll be there in May, so if you can wait that long (or haven't received any other offers), I'll send it to you.

As for its usefulness, I used it back in the 80's as my first self-instruction book and thought it was effective, although, as others have noted, some of the instruction must be taken with a grain of salt. Even as a beginner I was able to figure out that some of the pointers could lead to awkward bridge crossings and the like and make corrections on my own. The book does have a useful collection of tunes.

If you haven't got a copy by May, PM an address and I'll send it out.

Ivan
bradleyi
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby flutinggnee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks, Ivan. I'll let you know in May if no one else has a copy. Thanks for the review, too. I mainly want it for the tunes. Someone in our local dulcimer club said it has some good tunes.
Thanks again, Jeanie
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Accessories