The Sandbridge Waltz and Air Collection

Stands, Cases, Hammers, Books, Recordings, Tuners, etc.

The Sandbridge Waltz and Air Collection

Postby Ken Kolodner » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello everyone!

Thanks to all of you who have ordered the first of the two “Sandbridge Collections.” I am pleased to announce that the second book is now available.

The second book is called The Sandbridge Waltz and Slow Air Collection: Arrangements For the Hammered Dulcimer. Copy and paste this link into your browser http://www.kenkolodner.com/the-sandbridge-waltz-and-air-collection Each book is 140 pages (published on Mel Bay). Each tune in each book is presented as a simple melody with a chord progression along with one or more detailed arrangements offering a wide range of levels of complexity. Backup and harmony parts are provided for many of the pieces. The second book incorporates includes a mix of traditional or original tunes: waltzes, O’Carolan, slow airs, marches etc. The repertoire is wide ranging (Ireland, Scotland, England, Shetland Islands, old-time, Chile, Finland, Sweden, Israel, Quebec, Cape-Breton).

If you missed the first book, it is called The Sandbridge Dance Tune Collection: Arrangements of Reels, Jigs, Hornpipes, Polkas and Rags For the Hammered Dulcimer. Go to http://www.kenkolodner.com/the-sandbrid ... ction.html ) The first book in this two-book companion collection includes traditional & original dance tunes including reels, jigs, hornpipes, rags and polkas. The repertoire draws primarily from the traditional music of the U.S. (Old-Time), Quebec (French-Canadian), Ireland and Scotland. Each tune is presented as a simple melody with chord progression along with one or more detailed arrangements offering a wide range of levels of complexity. Backup and harmony parts are provided for many of the pieces. Included is a discussion of 20+ arranging ideas/techniques. Each book is intended to be a resource for many years of playing for players of all levels.

PDF option: in lieu of the book, you may order a PDF of the book. Cost of each book is $28 plus shipping. Cost for just the PDF is $28. Cost of the book and PDF together is $38 (plus shipping for the book).

Why “Sandbridge?” Nine years ago, I launched a weeklong retreat in Sandbridge Beach, Virginia for hammered dulcimer players. I started “Sandbridge” (see www.sandbridgedulcimer.com) to provide an intensive learning environment in a relaxed setting (on the ocean, great food provided prepared by a chef, dolphins, great people, pelicans, lots of music!) Since its inception, Sandbridge has evolved into three weeklong workshops that draw 55 intermediate and advanced players from around the U.S. and beyond. These collections draw heavily from arrangements developed at Sandbridge and over the course of the last 30+ years as a hammered dulcimer performer and instructor.

To order either book, email me at kenkolodner@aol.com, or call me at 410-746-8387, or go here http://www.kenkolodner.com/the-sandbridge-dance-tune-collection.html Ordering both books together will save a bit on shipping.

• Repertoire draws from Celtic, Old-Time, Quebecois, Scandinavian, Israeli Shetland and Cape Breton Islands traditions
• Includes standards and many lessor known pieces
• Includes basic tunes with chords and one or more arrangements for each tune
• Arrangements cover a wide range of levels of complexity
• Backup and harmony parts are provided for many of the pieces
• Includes a discussion of over 20 arranging ideas/techniques
• A lifetime resource for players of all levels

THE TUNES in “The Sandbridge Waltz and Slow Air Collection”

Hand separation

Cradle Song, The (Scott Skinner, Scotland)
Evening of Roses (Hadar/Dor, Israel)
Lango Lee (Scotland)
Orange Rogue, The (Ireland)
Un Canadien Errant (Canada)

Waltzes

Avenging and Bright (Ireland)
Bethany Beach (Ken Kolodner, U.S.)
Black Tail Canyon (Ken Kolodner, U.S.)
Bonny at Morn (Northumberland, England)
Caspian Lake (Ken Kolodner, U.S.)
Clock Waltz, The (“Valse clog Guillemette”) (Joseph Guillemette, Quebec)
Cowboy Waltz (U.S.)
Down Home, The (Buck White, U.S.)
Emma (Finland)
Fanny Power (O’Carolan, Ireland)
Far Away (Peter Jung)
Gentle Eily O'Carol (Eily Gheal Chiun; Dominick Mongan, Ireland): melody
Give me Your Hand (Rory O'Dall, Ireland)
Kevin Keegan’s (Ireland)
Light Sparrow, The (Quebec)
Margaret Anne Robertson (Jamieson, Scotland)
My Cape Breton Home (Jerry Holland, Cape Breton)
Southwind (Ireland)
Summer's End (Ken Kolodner)
Tennessee Waltz (King-Stewart, U.S.)
Tombigbee’s (U.S.)
24th of September (Ken Kolodner)
Waltz of My Dreams (Quebec)

O’Carolan (Ireland)

Carolan’s Draught (O’Carolan, Ireland)
Dermott O’Dowd (O’Carolan, Ireland)
Fanny Power (O’Carolan, Ireland)
Loftus Jones (O’Carolan, Ireland)

Slow airs and miscellaneous

Avenging and Bright (Ireland)
Da Auld Resting Chair (Tom Anderson, Shetland Islands)
Da Slockit Licht (Tom Anderson, Shetland Islands)
Erev Shel Shoshanim (Evening of Roses) (Yosef Hadar, Moshe Dor, Israel)
Fair Hills of Killen (Ireland)
Gentle Eily O'Carol (Eily Gheal Chiun; Dominick Mongan, Ireland): melody
For Ireland I’d Dare Not Tell Her Name (Ireland)
Forvantan (Hasse Jonnson, Sweden)
Hard Times (Stephen Foster, U.S.)
Ian Robertson (Tom Anderson, Shetland Islands)
La Partida (The Parting) (Victor Jara, Chile)
Lango Lee (Scotland)
Lo Yisa Goy (Lay Down your Arms) (Israel)
MacPherson's Lament (James MacPherson, Scotland)
Polska (Sweden)

Marches

Coleman’s March (U.S.)
March of the King of Laois (Ireland)
Prince William (England)
Return from Fingal (Ireland)
Sir Sydney Smith’s March (James Hook, England)
Ken Kolodner
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Accessories