Exceptional sassafras wood for dulcimer building.

Only put instruments and accessories here that don't fit into the mountain or hammered categories.

Exceptional sassafras wood for dulcimer building.

Postby JBlain » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Hello,

I am a woodworker and specialize in pieces from felling the tree to drying then building.

My wife and I manage our Appalachian woodlands and had 2 sassafras trees die over the last year. They were forest grown and 90 plus feet tall and one is 2 feet wide and the other one is almost 3 feet.

I have the one tree milled and air drying. I hate to use it for standard furniture and wanted to see if there was interest in it for building dulcimers. I have a friend who has a mountain dulcimer with a sassafras top and the sound is amazing.

The boards are 10 feet plus long and 7-13 inches wide and 1 in thick with no knots or defects. I already made several outside wood signs and it looks just like American Chestnut. Sassafras was heralded by settlers as a premium tree for weather resistance and ability to work.

Price would depend on the board quality and volume purchased.

I am located in the western end of Perry County, PA ( 1 hour west of Harrisburg).

Thanks Josh

email : jparrish01@hotmail.com if interested
JBlain
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Exceptional sassafras wood for dulcimer building.

Postby KenH » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Ye gods, I wish I had the facility to re-saw! I love sassafras as dulcimer wood, but these days I live aboard a small sailboat and just don't have the big woodworking tools anymore.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Frimp » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Josh,
This sounds like an amazing opportunity for luthiers!
I'm a builder of modest means, so I can't buy a lot of wood at a time-- usually a couple of boards here and there.
I'm sure you'd get some interest if you post this on the Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer site.

If you could supply sassafras in thin, pre-sanded sheets, such as 1/8" thickness by about 36" long, several of us would snap the stuff up.
Sassafras is a great tonewood for dulcimer tops.
Frimp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby JBlain » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I really would like some of this to go to building instruments and have a strong connection growing up and now working to conserve the precious central Appalachian mountains. I will post on friends website you suggested. Cheers Josh
JBlain
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Miscellaneous Instruments and Accessories