selling some old planes

Only put instruments and accessories here that don't fit into the mountain or hammered categories.

selling some old planes

Postby MountainMinstrel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm

I have a bunch of my Grandfathers old woodworking planes that I would like to sell in order to get the last of the materials I need to build my HD. Any thoughts on how/where to do that and to figure out what I have and what it is worth?

thanks
ken
MountainMinstrel
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: selling some old planes

Postby Verduin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

What brand/models are they? What is their condition? Can you post some pics? Depending on their age, relative rarity and condition they may go anywhere from cheap to some decent money, in addition to whether the buyer is more of a collector of old planes or someone (like me ;) ) who is mostly looking for usable planes.
Verduin
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Verduin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Oh, btw,I corgot to mention you could check out some of the woodworking forums, such as Woodtalk; they have sections on hand tools and a there is a lot of discussion about hand planes...
Verduin

Postby MountainMinstrel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:42 am

I think I have two that have decent value.
One is a Stanley No 115 This one is in pretty good condition pat. June 17 79 I can't find anything on the iron so it may not be original, but everything else is there. There is only a minor amount of surface rust and the base in a bit stained but only has a couple of small pits in it.

The other one is (I'm 99% sure) a no 46. This one in in rougher condition and seems to be missing the sliding section. the nickel is pretty toasty, but everything works. The good news is that I have the full set of cutters with it along with the box and lid.

MountainMinstrel
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Verduin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 pm

The first one is a Stanley 113 circular /compass plane, made for curved surfaces. The other one looks like a rabbeting plane of some sort - looks like it is used along an edge to plane out a groove. I searched Ebay for the compass plane and several were sold from between 60 to 200 bucks, depending on their condition.
Last edited by Verduin on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verduin

Postby MountainMinstrel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Exactly. The one for rabbiting was what grandpa used to cut the dado for the bottom of drawers according to "Patrick's Blood and Gore" it seems to be a #46 Adjustable Dado and Plow Plane. The plane itself is probably not worth a whole lot but the cutters go regularly for $125 -$150 and those are in excellent shape.

If anyone is interested I would let the 113 go for $100 and the #46 and it's cutters for $200. I'd like to see them making musical instruments but if there is no interest I will go to fleabay with them.
MountainMinstrel
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Miscellaneous Instruments and Accessories