Portable dulcimer

Help for new hammerers of all ages!

Portable dulcimer

Postby janji » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 am

Hello,
I am thinking about taking some lessons in santoor because I like the sound of it and I have some teachers available around. I want also to practice in my home, but what I don't like about santoor is the fact it is big, not portable, and more kind of concert type instrument. I recently spotted very similar but much simpler and portable instrument that can be played while standing just by having it hanged on the neck. You can see it yourself in a Latcho Drom movie (link below) starting from 48 minute (note there are two, one standing and one sitting). I would be thankful if you could tell me if the instrument from the movie has some own name that I could use when googling or asking about it. If not then what is the best way to describe it to professional musicians or instrument makers? What is the best place to look for this kind of instrument (new and used). Also does it make sense to learn on santoor and practice in home on that one?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AUz9NgtgneM
Thank you
Attachments
screenshot20170215_101531979.png
janji
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Portable dulcimer

Postby inomini » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 am

I am not sure where you live but why not get on the builder site here at Everything Dulcimer and find a hammer dulcimer builder in your area. If none are available find music stores that might have Hammered dulcimers to sell. The santoor that you have would probably be similar.
inomini
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby asterhunter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:40 am

Try Amazon.com. You might find something you are looking for there. If you've picked out a teacher, I'd get their recomendations.

David E.
asterhunter
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby janji » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:55 am

I'm now living in Varanasi, India. I can find builders here but I'm not sure about the actual name of the instrument, how to properly describe it. Maybe it doesn't have any specific name so I can just ask for smaller santoor to hang on the neck. But first I wanted to know from you as this one may be already uniquely named.
janji
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Beginner's Area