Just saying hello

Help for new hammerers of all ages!

Re: Just saying hello

Postby TABLEDIT » Tue May 09, 2017 6:10 pm

To Skip,

Thank you for your reply.

As I said, the grid if fully customizable.

It is easy to start from 1 instead of 0.

Matthieu
TABLEDIT
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby TABLEDIT » Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Skip wrote:Do you have a plan on how to identify the extra bridges on some of the large HD's?
By the way, I've used Tabledit for years and really lIke it.

I forgot to reply to this question.

The strenght of this new custom instrument is that extra bridges can be easily defined: you have just to add one "string" and you get a new column.

If you want send to me a scheme of your HD and a tune that exploits the extra bridges, I'll show you.

Matthieu
TABLEDIT
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Skip » Tue May 09, 2017 7:03 pm

My HD is a standard 16/15. Some of my friends have up to 3 extra bridges though.
I figured making extra columns would work ok, I was just wondering if you planned on a different method.
Skip
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby cboody » Tue May 09, 2017 10:44 pm

TABLEDIT wrote:To Skip,

Thank you for your reply.

As I said, the grid if fully customizable.

It is easy to start from 1 instead of 0.

Matthieu

Good to see you responding to people! Please respond to my earlier concern. If I'm wrong I'd like to know how. Also an additional question: With duplicate notes on the HD how do you choose which to place in the tab? Is that user adjustable?

Thanks.
cboody

Postby TABLEDIT » Sat May 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Interesting start on the tab system. If I read the numbers correctly though there are some problems, assuming you have the notes defined correctly and they seem to be. Mostly it seems to revolve around octaves chosen. Pm me if you want to discuss it.

I'm afraid I don't understand this remark. Could you please be more explicit? Thanks.

To reply to the additional question, TablEdit allows to move the note across the different possible position.

Matthieu

PS: By the way, the new version has been released you can test the new feature by yourself. See http://www.tabledit.com.
TABLEDIT
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby TABLEDIT » Sat May 13, 2017 12:40 pm

By the way, here is a file I've tried to tab out from some Kendra Ward's book.

I don't understand the four Bb in measure 11. This note seems to be only supported on the bass bridge. I think I'm missing something.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Matthieu

Obviously v2.77 is required to read and edit this file.
Attachments
Battle Hymn of the Republic.tef
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
TABLEDIT
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby cboody » Sat May 13, 2017 5:59 pm

TABLEDIT wrote:
Interesting start on the tab system. If I read the numbers correctly though there are some problems, assuming you have the notes defined correctly and they seem to be. Mostly it seems to revolve around octaves chosen. Pm me if you want to discuss it.

I'm afraid I don't understand this remark. Could you please be more explicit? Thanks.

To reply to the additional question, TablEdit allows to move the note across the different possible position.

Matthieu

PS: By the way, the new version has been released you can test the new feature by yourself. See http://www.tabledit.com.

I am incorrect. You do have correct choices. I simply misread a couple of notes. However there are a couple of things that are problematical, at least to me, so I'm going to mention them. Please understand this is in the spirit of suggestions to improve your already fine work and not in the spirit of whining!

Look at the last two measures of the first line of the PDF and you can see the concerns I have.

1) It is likely that the C# G on the downbeat of the last measure would be played by most players as 7-3 both on the R side. You don't seem to have a way to allow that alternative or two notes played on the same string, though perhaps I am wrong. This is one major difference when tabbing things for hammered dulcimer that is different from most if not all of the other instruments for which your tab might be useful. Because of that issue your algorithm choses 2 and 1 on the L side for the last two notes of the last measure as being "closest" to the 3 on the L side chosen, incorrectly in my view, for the first note 3.

Leave that C# out for a moment, and starting on the next to last measure of the first line you would have L5 and then all on the R side 7 7 7. 6 5 add the C# and it would be on R3 as I suggested.

2) Sometimes the choice you have made for which string seems unusual. Look at the third complete measure where you have chosen L4 R7 L4 . I think most players would select R8 R7 R8 (and incidentally then in the next measure R9 rather than L5). I realize if you allow the user to adjust locations this issue can be taken care of, but my concern here is folks who use your program to "think for them" about choices. That concerns me.

In any case, if you think these comments are useful use them as you wish. And, if you want to discuss this further feel free to email me at cboody@ mchsi .com (without the spaces) and I'll be happy to provide any input I can. I have one algolrithm suggestion that might be useful. Seems to me we're off topic here.

Chuck Boody
cboody

Postby TABLEDIT » Sun May 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Choody,

Well, I must say that I did not think about the two note chord on the same column. Silly isn't it :D It is easy to add a column but it would be much better to show the chord in the notation and the two used hammers in the tab. For example "3l 7r". It should be doable to implement it as I've implemented the right hand chords on diatonic accordion.

Regarding the second problem, my algorithm is quite simple: If the note is possible, give it the minimal rating, if the note is valid, give it a better rating. So since both L4 and R8 are valid, the first found (L4) wins. But it is actually easy to put the three notes on the R side of the trebble bridge (the 2nd column). Since you can change the default placement, it is not a big deal.

I've adapted the tab of the month (Brian Boru March) for hammered dulcimer. It sounds nice but is it playable?

Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated.

Matthieu
Attachments
Brian Boru March.tef
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
TABLEDIT
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Beginner's Area