Joyfull Strings

Help for new hammerers of all ages!

Joyfull Strings

Postby clsh315 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 am

Hi - I'm new to the forum and have just purchased my first dulcimer, a Joyfull Strings T-51. Tim Kretzmann is the maker and he's associated with Rick Toles. I have found a website for them and have tried to contact but no reply. My other searches, including here, have produced nothing.
The dulcimer was purchased in 1995. It's beautiful both in design and sound. Thanks, Cheryl
clsh315
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Joyfull Strings

Postby halfpint » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:43 pm

I am not familiar with your dulcimer, but wanted to welcome you to ED. What are you trying to find out about your dulcimer?

Dawn
halfpint
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby mrchips » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 am

If its this one --
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1100-Beautiful-Joyful-Strings-Model-T-51-15-14-Hammer-Dulcimer-W-Extras-Stand-/261262249283

It looks like a standard 15/14. What you find in some ebaly listings are often far from correct.

You can find a tuning chart for it at most any HD makers web site, The note locations will be the same but the wire gauges will most likely be different.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby clsh315 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 am

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Yes, the link to ebay is the one I bought. I have listened to many and there is a youtube video of this one. I liked the sound and am pleased with what I have. I do have a tuning chart with it and have been working at tuning. I don't have it tuned yet but have learned a lot while trying. Forgetting to move my tuning wrench is a mistake I'm already learning not to make. As I move up the notes should get higher but I have a couple that seem to go lower. I believe I've gone the wrong direction somewhere and am probably lucky to have not broken strings. However, I am loving every minute of it, mistakes and all.

I came in and asked about Joyfull Strings because I hadn't seen it mentioned here. You all seem familiar with lots of makers and I was curious as to whether or not anyone else had ever owned one. When it comes to new strings I'll be wondering for sure. They're all steel, none wound. I don't have mics and am not sure how to tell what size I'll need. No reply from their website. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks again - I read on here frequently, follow your links and feel I can ask questions if needed. Much appreciated! Cheryl
clsh315
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mrchips » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:27 am

If you have a good music store or a piano Tech around they will most likely be happy to measure the gauges for you.

You can get wire by the 1/4 pound from most any piano parts website for a few bux. A 1/4 pound of wire of the gauges on a HD will last anyone for years. If you get some you will most likely need to learn how to wind loop ends to fit over hitch pins. Easy as pie to do. All you need is the battery drill, a cup hook and a pair of vice grips.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby clsh315 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks mrchips. I had not thought of taking one to a piano shop. We do have some around here. Looping my own will come in time. Lots of it but I'll get there. Take care, Cheryl
clsh315
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Heidi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Never heard of Joyful Strings. There is a Joyful Noise. That's Bob Bedard's hammers, but he doesn't make instruments. - But if Joyful Strings makes you happy and it serves you well, then that's all that matters. Welcome to ED.
Heidi
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby clsh315 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks Heidi - I hadn't heard of Joyfull Strings either during my search for an instrument but saw one on ebay. Was able to find it on Youtube under " joyfull strings dulcimer" and really liked the sound. Now I'm in the process of making sure it's all in good order and getting great help on the other thread. Need to take a measurement and get back to that one. Thanks for the welcome. Cheryl
clsh315
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby biggerry » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 am

Hello I met Rick and Tim in 1995 when I was first starting out w/ the HD. They were out of the Grass Valley Nevada City area of northern CA. They at the time did lots of arts and crafts festivals and sold their CD's and hand made dulcimers harps and wash tub basses.

I believe they do NOT make dulcimers anymore, and seemed to have gone on to other things. I have not bumped in to any of them for over 15 years, and last time I heard of them was one of the sons I believe Tim Kretzmann's son introduced himself to me at a craft festival where I was selling CD's... Both were wood workers/ carpenters I believe and probably got back in to a 'real job' They gave me some great advice about the HD world and I am very grateful for their advice ! I have been a professional HD player since 1995 My website is http://www.biggerry.com Come visit it and see if their is something you like? Big Gerry
biggerry
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Beginner's Area