Buying Hammered Dulcimer

Help for new hammerers of all ages!

Buying Hammered Dulcimer

Postby mez1789 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 pm

I have been playing hammered dulcimer for over a year. I have a loaner to use from a friend and I want to buy my own. Interested in a 12/11 model or maybe a little bigger. I wonder if anyone knows of a builder of distributor that accepts payments over time or financing. Any help appreciated.
mez1789
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Buying Hammered Dulcimer

Postby gaelyn37 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:35 am

IMHO, I would not expect a luthier or an individual seller to help with my payments. Many have been burned and can not afford further losses. Prepayment is common and is the most fair to the luthier/seller. Larger companies or music stores that sell dulcimers may accept credit cards though, which would allow you to make the payments to your bank. Used instruments are also a good way to start. It is a wonderful instrument if you have the needed patience and passion for playing music. This is a good website to gather more advice from. Folks are very generous. Good luck.
gaelyn37
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby cboody » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 am

Check with Songbird Dulcimers http://songbirdhd.com Criss Foss makes excellent instrument for the price and has good packages containing everything you would need (instrument, stand, case, tuner, tuning wrench, instruction book). He is not the only one to offer such packages, but I think his combination of price and quality is excellent.
cboody
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby spineloccio » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:17 pm

cboody wrote:Check with Songbird Dulcimers http://songbirdhd.com Criss Foss makes excellent instrument for the price and has good packages containing everything you would need (instrument, stand, case, tuner, tuning wrench, instruction book). He is not the only one to offer such packages, but I think his combination of price and quality is excellent.

I can second that recommendation. I bought my Songbird "Phoebe" from Chris last summer, and I "upgraded" to the chromatic version around January. The packages are very reasonably priced, and he is incredibly easy to work with. One thing you might consider is whether you plan to play sitting down or standing up...or, perhaps, both. If both, then his adjustable stand is also very reasonably priced and very sturdy. My instrument stays in tune well and has a nice balanced tone. It has just enough sustain to "ring" when you want it to, but it never feels muddy.
spineloccio
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mez1789 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the suggestions. Have looked at Chris Foss hammered dulcimers and will give that some more thought.
mez1789
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby virginialuther12 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:29 am

This is so helpful
Thanks!
virginialuther12
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Beginner's Area