What piano notes can a dulcimer play?

Help for new hammerers of all ages!

What piano notes can a dulcimer play?

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 am

I used a tuner to identify all the notes I can make on my (14/13) hammered dulcimer. Then I identified them on the keyboard of my piano. One result is the photo you see below. If there's a pencil-top eraser on a key, it means that I can play the note on my dulcimer. If there are three erasers on the key, it means I can make that pitch in three different locations. The notes go from D3 (below Middle C) to D6 (the D above the C above Middle C). Curiously, there's one white key I can't play, and it's F3, or the F below Middle C.

Why did I do this? One, I like to complicate things. It's my nature. Two, I'm also a piano player.
Attachments
PianoHD.jpg
Each eraser marks a note on a piano that can be played on a 14/13 dulcimer.

Three erasers on a key means the note can be produce on three different locations on the hammered dulcimer.
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: What piano notes can a dulcimer play?

Postby asterhunter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:54 am

Cool! I don't play piano any more but I still have piano playing instincts that make their way into my dulcimer playing. This is an excellent demonstration of the many duplicate notes in the courses of the hammered dulcimer. It is this redundancy that gives the dulcimer it's rich tone as the unstruck strings vibrate sympathetically. My only suggestion is to find three different color erasers, one for the bass bridge and two for each side of the treble bridge.

David Elosser
asterhunter
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am

David, that's a great idea about using different colors. I'll see what I can come up with and post a new photo with the results.
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Here's the same exercise, with M&M candies marking the strings. Not as sharp as the last photo, but I've already taken down the props and I'm not putting them up again.

Red = bass bridge
Green = right side of treble bridge
Blue = left side of treble bridge

Or, think of it as molten lava inside the earth (red), grass on the earth's surface (green), and the sky (blue)
Attachments
PianoHD2.jpg
Red = notes on bass bridge; blue = notes on left of treble bridge
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby asterhunter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 pm

I would end up eating the keyboard...

David
asterhunter
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Beginner's Area