Daily storage of bow

It's a bow! It's a dulcimer. Now what do I do? :-)

Daily storage of bow

Postby dulcimer52 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 pm

The bow came in a plastic sleeve, in a box. Should I store it in one, or the other, or both?
There's also a pocket in my b.d. case. When I put it in the case, should I first put it into the sleeve and box?

Is it Ok to leave the bow laying out, if I'm going to use it in the next day or two?

I've read about wiping the rosin off, and loosening the strings, but nothing about Where is should be stored.
dulcimer52
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Re: Daily storage of bow

Postby Ken Bloom » Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 am

When you are done playing for the day, loosen your bow hairs. You don't want to wipe off the hair. Leave it be. Do wipe the rosin off the instrument.
There are devilish little creatures known as bow bugs. They love the dark and in the dark they will eat your bow hairs. Do what fine violinists and other classical artist do with their bows. They hang them on a nail in the wall so they are easily at hand but stay in the light.
I have a stand made by Thistledew Acres. When I'm home I keep the instrument and the bow on the stand. I only put the bow in the case for transport. You don't need the plastic sleeve. The bow pocket in your case is fine for it. Let me know if you need any more info.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.com
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Bowed Dulcimer Beginner's Area