New here.. from Northern Wisconsin

It's a bow! It's a dulcimer. Now what do I do? :-)

New here.. from Northern Wisconsin

Postby mossanimal » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:42 am

Hi folks.. I don't have much to say right now other than to introduce myself. I've had a lifelong love of traditional forms of music.. especially that of the British Isles and early America and have wanted to play a stringed instrument for years. I've managed to learn some things on the bodhran.. but that is as far as I've been able to manage in traditional music. But my dad recently started making dulcimers and has given me a few (he doesn't play). I tried to learn.. but it wasn't what I was looking for in a stringed instrument. But then I learned about bowing dulcimers and now I'm more excited than ever.. and hopeful that I may actually finally be able play the kind of music I love. So I'm getting started by converting one of my dad's teardrop dulcimers and have ordered a bow. This week will be the first time I've ever touched a bow to a string and I'm watching that mailbox like a hawk. :-) I live in an area rich with wonderful traditional musicians and hopefully will find some mentors (lots of fiddlers.. not sure about dulcimer yet). I'm also lucky that a good friend of mine is a world class luthier and maker of amazing fiddles and violins.

Also.. A big thanks to Ken Bloom for getting me on the right track via email (I'm the bladesmith that recently emailed you).

Anyway.. I hope to contribute to this forum once I get to spend some quality time with my instrument and some Youtube videos :-)
mossanimal
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: New here.. from Northern Wisconsin

Postby Ken Bloom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:30 am

There are others reading this that probably have the same questions but are too shy to ask. I check the forum frequently and will do my best to help you through those rough opening stages. Happy bowing!!

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.com
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Bowed Dulcimer Beginner's Area