Ideal playmates

Just hammerers

Postby woods » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:08 pm

I like to play the HD with my daughter on violin (except that she's at college now), and someone on guitar. My wife plays the guitar sometimes, but she needs more lessons on it (she admits). Right now my wife and I and a young man from our church are working on Dona Nobis Pacem. Wifey and I are on the tin whistle, and he is on the soprano recorder. I like playing the autoharp alone or with the fiddle. The tenor recorder sounds OK alone, but I'd rather play it with at least the guitar or the autoharp chording. Ditto the tin whistle, unless you do the multiple whistle/recorder thing in parts, like we're doing with Dona Nobis Pacem. The harmonica is a nice campfire time instrument, alone or with guitar or autoharp. I like it when my daughter plays the violin whilst I'm on piano, but we haven't done enough of that. Plus, I usually prefer to play the HD now over piano!
woods
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby SteveK » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:31 pm

I sent Byll an email. What happens at the CD Baby site is that I can't get two of Byll's three CDs to play any sound clips. One of them will play. It's called Words and Whistles. I'd like to know if you have a different experience. Here's the address for the Words and Whistles CD at CD Baby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gladlyplaye3 Steve
SteveK

Postby Byll » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:15 pm

Steve: I will contact CD Baby and see if there is a problem. I can play selections from all 3 CDs. Best. Byll
Byll
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby SteveK » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:17 pm

Orginally posted by woods The harmonica is a nice campfire time instrument, alone or with guitar or autoharp.
I suppose the harmonica is a nice campfire instrument but it's also a great ''serious'' instrument for traditional music. Leaving aside the blues, there are people who do a great job with both Irish and old time music. Mark Graham is one of them. He's adept at both old time and Irish. Brendan Power is great at Irish music. I've heard wonderful things about James Conway but haven't heard his recording. There's a fine traditional Irish player living in Quebec. He plays an older style with hamonicas on a kind of rolodex thing. He turns it around when the music goes to another key. His name is Don Kavanaugh. I don't know how it would sound with dulcimer though. I have to admit I'm still suspisious about the use of free reed instruments with dulcimer. Steve
SteveK

Postby SteveK » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:19 pm

Orginally posted by Byll Steve: I will contact CD Baby and see if there is a problem. I can play selections from all 3 CDs. Best. Byll
I was wondering if it was something about my computer. I've had this problem with a few other CDs on CD Baby but usually anything I try will play. Anyway, I got to listen to the Words and Whistles album. Steve
SteveK

playing combinations

Postby Christina Connell » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:23 pm

We play HD, mandolin, autoharp, and guitar, a combo which works pretty well. When doing backup, I sometimes tried to chord in the mid or low registers, but it seems to sound better to chord (HD) in the mid to upper registers with this combo. Sometimes I harmonize in thirds with the mandolin, or we switch to whistle and harmonica. Autoharp and HD can work well together, too. I am wanting to try playing with harp, organ, or harpsichord. I have classical stuff I want to do with one of the above. Anyone have experience with any of them? Regarding accordion--I saw a video with a lot of gypsy music using HD and accordion combined--seemed to work--I guess experimentation leads to finding how a new combo might work. (Or throwing the instruments out the window) Marcy--4 dulcimers sounds cool. Our autoharp also plays HD, and we sometimes duet--it can real easily get too busy, so we are careful about that combo.
Christina Connell
Member (51-100 posts)

accordeon

Postby Nic Hambas » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:11 pm

And speaking of accordeon, here's the definition of a gentleman gleaned from a musicians' website: ''A gentleman is a person who can play the accordeon but doesn't.''
Nic Hambas

Postby SteveK » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:16 pm

I saw a t-shirt once that said "Accordions don't play Lady of Spain; people do" Frank Proffit played old time banjo. He is reported to have said he'd like to be able to play Scruggs style and then not do it. Steve
SteveK

Postby Nic Hambas » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:56 pm

I wonder if a law suit could be brought against accordeon manufacturers. Should banjo manufacturers be included in the lawsuit? Any eager lawyers in our midst?
Nic Hambas

Postby woods » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:44 pm

Wellllll it's definitely a matter of taste (or lack thereof), but I like the twangy sound of the banjo, and can't wait until I can play the durn thing. On the other hand, I think of accordians as I once heard about a different instrument (I won't name): ''What's the difference between a chain saw and an accordian?'' And of course you know the (tired) old answer: ''You can tune a chain saw.''
woods

Postby SteveK » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:09 pm

Orginally posted by woods Wellllll it's definitely a matter of taste (or lack thereof), but I like the twangy sound of the banjo, and can't wait until I can play the durn thing.
Well, there's no mistaking where my sentiments lie. I've played the banjo for well over 40 years. The 5-string banjo. Tenor banjos are getting more popular and are seeing a lot of use in Irish music but I don't care to play one. I'm not that handy with a plectrum and I'm not all that fond of them anyway. As for accordions, they're fine for Irish music, at least the button variety is. I actually prefer concertinas, though. They're not quite so heavy duty. Good luck on your banjo playing Woods. It's a great instrument. Steve
SteveK

lurking accordionophile

Postby Christina Connell » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:10 am

ALAS! There are those that mock the sound of the accordion! You really must check out the sound of a great classical accordionist! Here are two websites, one a sound link, the other a page link with a lot of sound files. The player teaches at the St. Petersburg Conservatory. (In Europe both the accordion and the hammered dulcimer are taught at music schools.) http://accordions.com/dmitriev/sound/001_05.au http://accordions.com/dmitriev/ Happy listening!
Christina Connell
Member (51-100 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer