Ideal playmates

Just hammerers

Concertina

Postby carol » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:06 am

I play the md, hd, bp and english baritone concertina.....they are sound wonderful together depending on how they are played. The concertina sounds good when playing bass droning chords or a simple melody line. Play too busy and it drowns out or doesn't compliment the other instruments. "there are soooo many instruments out there, and so little time.....search for the Joy and Peace of playing"
carol
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Kathy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:53 pm

I really like to hear the sound of a cello with the dulcimer. I love the song Caspian Lake by Ken Kolodner. It has cello and dulcimer. Whistle sounds nice too. Cheers, Kathy
Kathy
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby marcy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:27 pm

ooo I like the new avatar, Kathy -- glorious light shining on your beautiful HD...
marcy

Postby Kathy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:30 pm

Orginally posted by marcy ooo I like the new avatar, Kathy -- glorious light shining on your beautiful HD...
Thank you Marcy, The hummingbird lamp was a birthday gift from my hubby after I said I couldn't see the strings on my dulcimer because of the dark corner I was in. I am usually a lousy photographer but that one turned out pretty neat. Cheers, Kathy Smile
Kathy

Postby Fox Paws » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:12 pm

I haven't heard much that sounds bad with a hammered dulcimer. In my group, when I play hammered dulcimer it's usually with a guitar, a harmonica, and a tambourine or bodhran. We have an excellent harmonica player and he and I tend to switch off on the melodies. Sometimes we play in unison and it's a nifty sound. I play banjo and MD but I can't play those and hammered dulcimer at the same time. Of the other suggestions here, I like the idea of a cello and HD a lot. Wish I had a cellist.
Fox Paws
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:37 pm

Orginally posted by Kathy I love the song Caspian Lake by Ken Kolodner. It has cello and dulcimer.
The low stringed instrument on Caspian Lake is actually a viola. The tune is in C to take advantage of the low end of the range of the viola. I often play with a friend who is a cello player, but doesn't have a cello at this point in time. Last year she bought a viola, which serves as a sort of portable cello for her. She even plays it upright like a cello. She is very talented at improvising harmonies, both on the viola and vocally. I really like the viola with hammered dulcimer. I'm sure I'd love cello, too, but I don't get a chance to play with it. In general, I like instruments that offer a contrast to the dulcimer. I love flute with dulcimer. I play with hard wood hammers (my dulcimer is just too quiet with padded hammers for playing in a group), and I love the smooth sound of finger-picked nylon-strung guitar together with the bright zing of the dulcimer. I love banjo, too -- even though it's bright and zingy too, it's different enough that it stands out with HD. As much as I like mandolin as an instrument, it gets lost with HD if both are playing in the same octave. Octave mandolin (tuned an octave lower than a standard mandolin) holds its own better with the HD. Sarah
Sarah

Postby Sheila » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:37 am

First of all, I want to know how Carol of Baton Rouge plays all those instruments at the same time Wink LOL! ! You must have very nimble toesEEK! LOL! . I play HD in a group with another HD, two guitars, a mandolin, banjo, and harmonica (occasionally, when I can convince my husband to play with us). The HDs play complimentary - one melody, the other harmony, or one melody, the other chords in a different octave. We've played together for so long now that we just look at each other and switch parts during a song (yes, we do mess up sometimes, but it's fun!) The guitars provide a good bass line, and the banjo and mandolin switch with the HDs on the melody - the same person plays the banjo and mandolin, NOT at the same timeRazz . The harmonica kind of weaves a harmony throughout.
Sheila

wink, wink, smile, smile....

Postby carol » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:17 pm

Hey...that's why God gave us sooooo many appendages that move and grasp.....eekers!!! Actually....I can hear how they sound together by use of a multiple track recorder. (but, now you have some interesting mind-images??) carol
carol
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Joy

Postby carol » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:23 pm

I get the most joy every sunday.....My husband on Acoustic guitar and me on Hammered Dulcimer.....we play slow soothing music for the Meditation Prayer during the church service.....sometimes I get goose bumps from the combination of sounds
carol
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Ideal playmates

Postby conniewoolard » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I like the comments about the cello. Our fiddle/violin player purchased an electric violin and changed the strings to heavy weight and tuned for a cello. It is amazing to play with on my hammered dulcimer. When it comes in, it's very rich. You can pick it out on our song 'Leaving Lochboisdale' on the 'Edge of the Dance' album by The Mountain Laurels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iENzUdXjgC4. You will hear it on the 2nd A-part where the violin takes the lead deep into the song and continues to the last B where she switches back to violin. happy experimenting! Connie (connie@woolard.org)
conniewoolard
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer