I need a kick start

Just hammerers

Re: I need a kick start

Postby Rahere » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Another way of coming from a new angle is to start noting the scraps you fiddle with in between practicing real work - from that you'll start getting a larger theme or two to work up into a new piece.

Another idea is to add something to your playing, like adding some form of singing. If you can't handle a melody line, try something like puirt-a-buile, Gaelic mouth music, filling in a harmony line to your playing. Anything to make you giggle.
Rahere
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby hcknbrgr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:34 pm

I was feeling stuck recently, so I started learning Phantom of the Opera songs.

Greg
hcknbrgr
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Rahere » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Yup, Phantom has a lot. Trouble is I'm a singer coming back to the art after 20 years away and that needs an orchestra...
Lloyd Webber actually started another school which rarely makes it out of France, Romeo et Juliette for example, which might be worth checking out while you're about it.
Rahere
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Sharon Gartley » Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 am

Wow. You all are so great! What great responses. Thank you! I'm sorry I didn't get back here to respond sooner, but your comments really helped me. It also helped that I have a student who wants to enter a contest and I had to work on arrangements for her. (plus, she's only 11 and she's awesome, and I want to be able to keep up with her! Lol). Deciding on music and arrangements for her got me intrigued with going back to some of my earlier arrangements to make them more advanced, as well working on some pieces I'd previously written/arranged/mastered, that had gotten very dusty and rusty. (One of them is "All I Ask Of You" from Phantom of the Opera. Stairway to Heaven is on my "songs I want to learn" list. :)) I also think, as Jeffn mentioned, that I had some clutter and baggage to clear out so I could move on with my music. That seems to be resolving itself. Hallelujah!

I am most grateful for all of you and the Everything Dulcimer community. You never let me down when I come here for help and information. I saved all of your suggestions for future reference. My goal now is to get the rust out of my playing and do some videos, and then to get out an play more in public. I hope to find others to play with. I don't really like soloing, but would love being part of a group.

Thank you!
Sharon
Sharon Gartley
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer