IPad holders

Just hammerers

IPad holders

Postby dtautz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

While at Evart, I saw a device that holds an iPad on a hammered dulcimer. It somehow clips to the strings and keeps the music close enough to actually read. The lady told me what it is but I didn't get it written down. Has anybody heard of such a thing or know where to get one? Thanks.
dtautz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: IPad holders

Postby halfpint » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:36 pm

I can't imagine anything clamped to strings as you wouldn't be able to use those strings, nor would it be stable. Maybe to the hitch pins?

However, you could use one of these clamped on your dulcimer (add felt or some other cushioning material first):
http://snakeclamp.com/Category/ipad-sna ... osenck-arm

We use one of these on our mike stands at church: http://elderly.com//accessories/items/IKLIP2.htm

Dawn
halfpint
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby dtautz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Yes, you're probably right, although it seems it was resting on the strings. I know it was above the base bridge on the "dead" side of other strings. This looks like a great way to go. Thanks for the link.
dtautz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dtautz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Dawn, it was a snakeclamp product that has been discontinued. Figures,doesn't it? The girl I talked to said hers broke and she modified it. I don't know if I'm that smart:). Thanks for the link.

Dana
dtautz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Heidi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I have used my clamp on stand made by String Fever Music. However, it makes me really nervous, because a tablet is pretty darn heavy and my stand has collapsed from a heavy book. Luckily, it was a book and it fell away from my dulcimer. But when I think of a tablet falling to the ground, or worse falling on my dulcimer before it falls to the ground... Gives me the willies.

I have a friend with a similar music stand, except I don't think her's adjusts for angle. She uses it all the time for her tablet. So, if you could fix the problem of slippage, any clamp-on/slip-under music stand would work.
Heidi

Postby dtautz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Heidi,

I think String Fever is adapting their stands so they can be used with tablets. The iPads I saw at Evart were perched above the dead side of the base bridge strings, which would be the ideal spot for these older eyes. How to get them there.......
dtautz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Heidi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:12 pm

There are lots of music stands made for I-Pads. Keep in mind that I-Pad dimensions change with each model, so all your fitted accessories will need to be replaced when you update/change your I-Pad.

I use an HP Touchpad, but even if I used an I-Pad, I think I'd chose a more universal holder. I suggest something like this Stagg Universal Clamp-On Music Stand http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... usic-stand. - It appears to be very adjustable, so it can be positioned just so. It mounts to a mic stand so you have to buy one of those. This setup could hold your tablet for other purposes besides music too.

Speaking of gizmos to make your tablet music book complete, you have to get a Page Turning Pedal too.

I really haven't warmed to tablet based music. Too many secondary gizmos to buy and I hate that I can't write on the music! Yep! You read that right. I am indeed a music defacer! - When I can easily mark tablet music like I can printed music, I'll convert. Until then, tablet use is limited for me.
Heidi

Postby bradleyi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Heidi, I don't think I'd trust the clamp on stands shown in your link to hold my tablet. Looks to me like they could be bumped and slide off pretty easily. Although I have String Fever stands at home, I don't take them with me to festivals or jams. Usually I take my Peak folding stand. With its wide lip on the desk I think I'd feel more secure about my tablet. It's also pretty substantial so it wouldn't be tipped as easily as some of the stands out there.

While I admit I haven't gotten into the tablet/music thing, I do have MobileSheets loaded on my tablet. I don't know if your Touchpad supports Android but, if so, MobileSheets could be the answer for you. It allows annotations to music such as notes in text boxes, highlighting and circling portions of music. Also, if you don't want to get into the foot pedal page turning thing, MS will scroll the music according to a metronome setting you assign to the tune. You can also set up a "reading list" to tell the program that you'll be playing, e.g., pp 1-3, then 2 then 4, such as in the case of a D.C or D.S. marking. As an alternative to this, you can set up to ten "links" in the music, with each link directing the program to another link, causing the program to display whatever's at that link.

I've barely tapped the potential of MS, but it seems to be a nifty little program to me. I'm going to try to set mine up to use at Unicoi in November. I'll let you know whether it works for me after that.

Ivan
bradleyi
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: IPad holders and Tablet Music Books in General

Postby Heidi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:17 am

According to info on the web, I can load Android onto my TouchPad. It's not simple to do, but I am considering it.

Thanks for the tip on MobileSheets. If I go Android OS I'll definitely get this.

I agree that when using a standard, ledge type music stand, it would be smart to use some sort of elastic band or some other "invention" to add a little bump proofing security to the setup.

I found the information on this blog regarding using and choosing a tablet from a musicians point of view to be informative. I haven't read it all the way through, but it appears that they did their homework.
http://techfortheclassicalsinger.wordpr ... ime-being/
Heidi

Postby ruthus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 pm

I use an ordinary but sturdy music stand. I have a homemade attachment device made from two narrow grippy hair bands and a small dog collar. (Bands slip over the corners of the iPad and the dog collar clips onto the stand. I sewed the ends of the bands into loops, so this is very quick to attach and detach.) I still use paper music in binders some of the time, so didn't want a specialized iPad stand.

And Finale on an iPad is great. I won't go back.
ruthus
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Finale on iPad

Postby Heidi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Quote Ruthus : And Finale on an iPad is great. I won't go back. : End Quote

??? What do you use Finale on your iPad to do? And exactly what won't you go back too? Care to expand on your statement?

BTW, I notice quite a few new posters here at ED and I'd like to say welcome and greetings to you all. This has always been a good place for hammers to hang-out and I hope you'll feel free to start and contribute to conversations.
Heidi

Postby JanisL » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Any suggestions for a holder for the newer / larger iPad pro? I use a sit-down scissor type dulcimer stand. Ideally something stable but not blocking audience view.
Last year I bought a stand holder for the iPad Air2 but attachment does not hold the heavier Pro. The "Cliff's Custom Craft" and the MasterWorks 3-piece holders that slip under far edge of the dulcimer might work for the Air2 but the Pro is too heavy. Have thought of using my Manhasset orchestra stand awkwardly off to one side. While stable, too heavy to carry along with everything else. Asking the impossible?
JanisL
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer