String spacing within a course

Just hammerers

String spacing within a course

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Mon May 29, 2017 3:21 pm

I am new to the world of hammered dulcimers, so I'm trying to figure things out. My dulcimer is a Jake's Cabin Traveler 14/13.

The strings within each course are roughly the same distance from each other. But when I look at the courses near the bottom of the treble bridge, I see that they deviate from the average distances of the other courses. This is just my eyeball approximation and not the result of any careful measurement.

The strings in the two lowest courses are closer to each other than is the case of the other courses, while the strings in the third-lowest course are further apart from each other.

Is this significant? I don't think so, but thought it was worth asking.
Last edited by BobbaSkywalker on Mon May 29, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: String spacing within a course

Postby Neilwm » Mon May 29, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello BobbaSkywalker,

You are probably correct that some have moved closer, the lower courses will move more readily because they have less tension. You can easily separate them with a finger or thumb so that they are more like the spacing on the upper courses. Either way it isn't a big deal. Enjoy your dulcimer, I am a new player as of January of this year.

Neil
Neilwm
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer