HD tunes for funeral?

Just hammerers

HD tunes for funeral?

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:17 pm

My mother's funeral is coming up and I'm assembling a slide show. I'd like to have a couple of songs to go with it as a soundtrack. Since she played the hammered dulcimer, it seems like that instrument would be a good choice. (I'm learning to play it myself, but am not ready for that.)

I like this presentation of "Simple Gifts" by Matthew Dickerson. All dulcimer, nothing but dulcimer. Quiet, reflective tune. But it's short so I need something else, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH3xo6t4tMg

She loved hymns (I do, too), but I'd prefer to have something that isn't a hymn. Something that isn't well-known would be helpful, too.

Suggestions for something I can buy, preferably through a download?
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: HD tunes for funeral?

Postby dholeton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:38 am

I'm sorry for your loss.

If you or your mother had a Dulcimer Player News subscription, maybe you can search through the CDs that come with each issue for a suitable Hammer Dulcimer tune.

Otherwise, many hammer dulcimer players sell their CDs on the CD Baby website. Here is a url for what I found at CD Baby. If you use the filter tool to search just on "hammer dulcimer" many possibilities will appear. The search also brings anything with dulcimer, so some mountain dulcimer CDs will appear also. If you click on a given CD, you can listen to parts of the songs on that CD. I happened to listen to Russel Cook's "Let It Be Me" on his "Love Me Tender" CD and it had a wonderful sound. Dan Landrum's "For The Beauty" CD has many religious tunes, some familiar and some not so familiar. There are too many excellent CDs by excellent musicians for me to say more, so I'll keep it short and just say I hope this helps you find something suitable.

https://store.cdbaby.com/Search/aGFtbWVyIGR1bGNpbWVy/0

Take Care

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks, Dave. That's a place to start.
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby asterhunter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:31 am

I'd look for recordings of "Da Slokit Light" ("The extinguished light"). Also sorry for your loss, I know from experience it's a tough time.

David Elosser
asterhunter

Postby Steve Smith » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:12 pm

If it helps, here are a few tunes I recorded a few years ago as part of a demo. Some hymns, some not. Not perfect, but I left out the ones with the most errors!

I do this for fun, not for a living, so feel free to download and use them however you'd like. I played at my father's funeral, and know that music helps at those times.

- Steve

Be Still, My Soul (Finlandia)
Cam Ye By Athol
For The Beauty Of The Earth
Green Grow The Rashes, O
In The Garden
Morning Has Broken
Unnamed original plucked HD tune
Skye Boat Song
Wae's Me For Prince Charlie
Steve Smith

Postby BobbaSkywalker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the links. I'll download the files and have a listen. I got smart and decided that creating a slide show DVD did not have to be in my skill set, so I used NextDoor to find a guy to create the presentation for me. I did go onto CD Baby and found a few songs that are already worked into the presentation. I think they will be OK (I listened to them once), but it was a rush job.
BobbaSkywalker
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer