Santoor

Just hammerers

Santoor

Postby GeezerJazz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Total dulcimer newbie here. I have acquired a Persian santoor from Ebay, but it did not come with a tuning wrench. The string pegs are round, with two sides filed flat at the wrench end. Can someone help me out with how to obtain the proper wrench? It would be very expensive to order from Iran, so I was hoping there was a cheaper solution closer to home (in the US).

Thank you!
GeezerJazz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Santoor

Postby Ken Bloom » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am

Any machine shop can help you. Measure the top of the pin so that you know the length and width of the rectangle that makes up the top. You can then go to a machine shop and they can take a bit that is a few thousandths bigger than the width of the pin and mill a slot in the end of a rod somewhat longer than the length of the top of the pin. Take that and mount it in a handle and you've got a tuning wrench. Another possibility would be to look for an old concert zither wrench as this type of tuning pin used to be very common. If you need more info about either of these suggestions, just let me know.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Skip » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 am

An 8-point socket may work.
Skip

Postby Ken Bloom » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Only if the pins are far enough apart but worth giving it a try. Certainly the most inexpensive solution.

Ken BLoom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Ken Bloom

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer