my C Major7 chord voicings jazz video

We've got all the notes and we're not afraid to use them.

my C Major7 chord voicings jazz video

Postby jazzyzebra » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Here's the first "lesson/demonstration" jazz entry-level video for chromatic dulcimer using D-G-B-E tuning. Every week, I'm going to upload a new jazz for chromatic dulcimer lesson, all drawn from my 17 years of formal jazz studies and performance, dating back to college, (UNT School of Jazz and the American School of Modern Music, a Berklee-funded jazz conservatory in Paris)-up through today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ25hMM ... e=youtu.be
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: my C Major7 chord voicings jazz video

Postby Sam E. » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi, JazzyZebra --

I think it's great that you're doing this, even though personally I stick to 3-string. (I know people who swear by the chordal possibilities that 4-strings allow, but I prefer to have the ratio of 5 fingers to 3 strings, which would be reduced by adding another string.)

I'm curious -- do you always use the guitar tuning on your dulcimers?

Sam
Sam E.
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby jazzyzebra » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:32 pm

No, I actually use Db-Ab-db-db (coursed melody strings) when practicing and playing my Hindustani Classical ragas with my teacher. I actually deleted the video I made for my C Major 7th voicings and am going to re-do it, but starting with triads this time.
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby jazzyzebra » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Last edited by jazzyzebra on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby GrantOlson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Where did you learn ragas? I haven't really seen or heard them before and would be very interested in them. My dulcimer isn't chromatic but it's close: the first octave has everything except 3+ and 4+.
Grant
GrantOlson

Postby jazzyzebra » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:04 pm

I study with a teacher, Warren Senders, via Skype. Hindustani Classical raga music is the music of my paternal ancestors (where my dad's from) and Warren spent over 20 years there studying under some master musicians. I asked him if he would teach me, and he agreed. I started studying the SARGAM (it's a solfege-esque system) I pay him for lessons, and we're on Raag Bhupali, which ascending and descending, have the same notes as a major pentatonic scale, the swara being Sa, Re, Ga, Pa and Di (1, 2,3 5 and 6) I tune my dulcimer to Db-Ab-db-db coursed together because all tambura (drone) apps are in Db
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby GrantOlson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:11 pm

As far as I know, the notes that the raga players used a few hundred years ago at least were not based on an ET scale, and may have been improvised. Do you learn any songs; and if so, do you use any bending to give it a different feel?
Grant
GrantOlson

Postby jazzyzebra » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:49 pm

jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Robin the Busker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:23 am

Jazzy Zebra - Is that a tanpura backing track you are playing against? I've always thought it quite amazing how root and 5th drones appear in so much music from around the world.

Grant - I have an idea that you could use a pure diatonic just intonated scale and a noter to play raga on dulcimer - the microtonal harmonics would be more natural and the noter would give some option for half and quarter tones. This article gives some background to the concept http://dhrupadmusic.com/indian%20and%20 ... music.html. An old staple fretted Homer Ledford dulcimer with its JI scale and high action may be closer to an Indian instrument than a modern chromatic in equal temperament :lol: I've not played any Indian music although I do listen to it, perhaps I should give it a try.

I love this example of cross-rhythms and natural scales against steady root and 5th drones. Listen to the natural harmonies Kaushiki Chakraborty's voice finds against the drones - to me it is just beautiful, wonderful musicianship and utterly soulful.

Robin

EDIT - I've just tried an improv with an old Leonard Glen dulcimer and a tambura backing track. I live in Wales, which is halfway between the Appalachians and India, so it is probably a good place to try this meeting of cultures :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/robin-clark-9377 ... s-1-mar-16
Robin the Busker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Ken Bloom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 am

In Southern India the music is called Carnatic and there two instruments that are frequently used. The Sarasvati veena is chromatically fretted but the frets are placed to agree with the harmonics. A Sarasvati veena with no frets is called the Gotuvdyam and is played with a polished wooden bar. Doing any sort of Indian classical music on the ducimer is more than just possible and the Indian way of thinking about scales and rhythm can be very helpful and inspiring. I have certainly found it so. I think Robin's suggestion is a very good one.

Ken Bloom
http://www.bowedulcimer.org
Ken Bloom

Postby GrantOlson » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:34 am

Thanks for the links! That music theory one is quite lengthy. it is interesting to hear Indian music because the only time I have is when I checked a cd out at the library, and it was very strange, not at all what you played.
You have mentioned Homer Ledford and Leonard Glen dulcimers before; what do you mean by them? Are they just different fret patterns?
Grant
GrantOlson

Postby Robin the Busker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:39 am

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for the info - I do hope we get the chance to meet up some day, I'd love to pick your brains about this stuff !!!!! I know very little about Indian music beyond the fact that I love the sound! A friend of mine Michael Messer has pulled together a wonderful trio with Manish Pingle on Mohan Veena and Gurdain Rayatt on Tabla - They have just produced an album mixing Delta blues with Indian music http://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/michael-messer-s-mitra Here they are at the gig that started it all off:

Robin
Robin the Busker

Next

Return to Chromatic Mountain Dulcimer