my C Major7 chord voicings jazz video

We've got all the notes and we're not afraid to use them.

Re: my C Major7 chord voicings jazz video

Postby Ken Bloom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Robin,
I would also look forward to the day when we can sit and exchange views. That would be fascinating. Reading the Indian sources to get a handle on all of this can be confusing and overwhelming. Simply put, it's melody and rhythm without being distracted by harmony. The scales that you use are organized into a very logical series and rhythms are mostly various groupings of 2's and 3's in repeated patterns. The drone forms the backdrop. I'll be doing an improv class at Kentucky Music Week this year where I will use this system for people to begin to improvise. The melakarta raga system is excellent to begin organizing your thoughts. As with all things Indian, it is organized in levels. If you want more info, feel free to contact me off list. I'll be happy to set it all out for you.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Ken Bloom
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Robin the Busker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 am

GrantOlson wrote:Thanks for the links! That music theory one is quite lengthy. it is interesting to hear Indian music because the only time I have is when I checked a cd out at the library, and it was very strange, not at all what you played.
You have mentioned Homer Ledford and Leonard Glen dulcimers before; what do you mean by them? Are they just different fret patterns?
Grant

Hi Grant - Homer Ledford and Leonard Glen were two well known commercial dulcimer makers from the 50s to 70s period. Like pretty much all the makers pre-70s their dulcimer's frets were not set in equal temperament but set for 1-5-5 tunings in a more natural scale. This style of instrument with natural fretting, no 6+, 3 strings, wooden tuning pegs and often very high actions for noter playing fell out of favour once easy playing, low action dulcimers built for DAd with the 6+ and 13+ frets and a double melody string became the 'norm' from around the 70s/80s. Many of the 50s-70s era dulcimers by some very good makers were sold at craft fairs and music festivals - mostly to folks who would hang them on the wall!!! Folks don't play/want them even today as they tend not to play well in DAd, so you can find good condition vintage instruments for quite reasonable prices (Ledfords can be more expensive). I don't think that any of the vintage instruments I own from some of the really good makers of the period has cost me as much as buying a new Blue Lion, or custom McSpadden or Folkcraft dulcimer. But like I said, there are very few of us who actually play these instruments as our primary dulcimers. And there's certainly less than a handful of us recording and playing live gigs in noter drone on vintage instruments. Noter drone has come to be seen as a beginners way to play because is it 'easy'. Well, that's certainly not the case. Noter drone playing is 'simple' but it is not easy! Personally, I've found it far more exposing to technical errors of both left and right hands than when playing in chord melody style. I'm certainly not a traditionalist and I enjoy all styles of playing but my passion lays in studying the old styles of playing and for that you need old style dulcimers, and my playing pleasure comes from working those old style instruments as best as I can.

Robin
Robin the Busker

Postby strumelia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:31 pm

This is good stuff!
strumelia

Postby jazzyzebra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 pm

[quote="Robin the Busker"]Jazzy Zebra - Is that a tanpura backing track you are playing against? I've always thought it quite amazing how root and 5th drones appear in so much music from around the world.

Yes, see, in Hindustani Classical, you have the vadi and the samvawdi (pronounced "wadee" and "sumwadee")

The Vadi essentially is the most impoirtant note in the raag, meaning that it functions somewhat like the tonic and drones a fifth below, and the tambura drone osculates between that note and the samvadi, the second-most important note (sub-tonic so to speak) osculates at a fourth below. I'll explain more in due time. These are just a few licks, no pakaads or chalaans, but licks culled from the challan. The pakaad are tonal sentences that identify the rage, and chalaan are elaborations on the pakaad. I'll be happy to explain more in due time.
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby jazzyzebra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:04 pm

strumelia wrote:This is good stuff!

What is good stuff? (sorry, I'm a bir confused)
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby jazzyzebra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and input! Would anyone like me to post more, like an alaap in Bhupali? That way you will be able tothear the pakaad and the chalaan of this raag and others. I'm just trying to honor my paternal heritage (Uttar Pradesh, northern India)

Would anyone like me to do free lessons, sharing my knowledge of Hindstani Classical?
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby jazzyzebra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Ken Bloom wrote:Hi Robin,
I would also look forward to the day when we can sit and exchange views. That would be fascinating. Reading the Indian sources to get a handle on all of this can be confusing and overwhelming. Simply put, it's melody and rhythm without being distracted by harmony. The scales that you use are organized into a very logical series and rhythms are mostly various groupings of 2's and 3's in repeated patterns. The drone forms the backdrop. I'll be doing an improv class at Kentucky Music Week this year where I will use this system for people to begin to improvise. The melakarta raga system is excellent to begin organizing your thoughts. As with all things Indian, it is organized in levels. If you want more info, feel free to contact me off list. I'll be happy to set it all out for you.

Ken Bloom

Ken, would you like me to try and share what knowledge I have to make it easier to understand? I am more than happy to share my knowledge via video, blog or posts here, or you can even study with me on Skype, free of charge, Keep in mind though, that I'm quite busy with working on two idioms at once, the jazz I've been studying since college at UNT School of Jazz, and the Hindustani Claassical raga playing, so I might not be able to respond or may not even be online at times. I'm also working on an advancved jazz methodology book for four-string chromatic Dulcimer and have asked the amazing dulcimist Stephen Seifert for his help in contacting publishers for this book of Bill Evans' tunes arranged for four-string chroma. dulc...
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Acmespaceship » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Bill Evans! This whole thread has me doing a happy dance. :D I'm so inspired to grab a dulcimer... but I have to spend this afternoon doing my taxes... must... not... play... dulcimer...
Acmespaceship
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby strumelia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:25 pm

jazzyzebra wrote:
strumelia wrote:This is good stuff!

What is good stuff? (sorry, I'm a bir confused)

The entire thread and subject! and also the video samples posted! :) I love reading what you all have to say about it. Also, I'm a listening fan of Indian Ragas from way back.
strumelia

Postby Ken Bloom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 am

HI Robin,

I have a similar background. I grew up as a horn player, mostly playing jazz through high school. When I got into college I had the opportunity to take an Indian theory course with Ravi Shankar and followed that with four years of Carnatic music on Sarasvati veena. Later I played with a Turkish orchestra four about three years. All through this I was playing a lot of Old Time with my friends at parties. This was back in the 60's. I do think that if our paths ever cross we won't be at a loss for things to talk about. Maybe after you finish with Bill Evans you could let more people know about Denny Zeitland. I always read your posts with interest.

Ken Bloom
Ken Bloom

Postby jazzyzebra » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:06 pm

Ken,
I'll be posting an alaap in Raag Bhupali sometime within the next few days. I have a ton of video recordings of myself playing that raga.

I have two questions I'll post below. I've got a recording session of some Marvin Gaye and R&B with this brilliant vocalist.
jazzyzebra
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Chromatic Mountain Dulcimer