Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 5 January 2014

A dose of mountain dulcimer history throughout the year

Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 5 January 2014

Postby dbennett » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Royce Lynn McSpadden (1937 – 2014) died in Calico Rock, Arkansas. Lynn was the son of a Methodist preacher and he also was ordained a Methodist minister. He pastored churches in the former North Arkansas Conference of the United Methodist Church and in Missouri. He was associate pastor of Barony Kirk, (Church of Scotland) in Glasgow, Scotland; and taught high school English in Farmington, Missouri. While he was a divinity student at Duke University heard a friend from West Virginia or Kentucky playing a record one night, and it had a dulcimer being played and decided to look for information on the dulcimer. In 1962 he started to build from a photograph and finished it in 1963. Said Lynn in an interview with Brooks Blevins in 2003, “it wasn’t any good... I think I had two frets in the right place on the first one... and thought, “Well, I could beat that,” so I made another one, and we finally ended up making some forty-two thousand and something of them before I quit...” Lynn opened the Dulcimer Shoppe in Mountain View Arkansas and operated it until the end of 2000 when he sold his shop to its current owner.
LynnMcSpadden1.JPG
LynnMcSpadden2.JPG

David Bennett
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Today in Mountain Dulcimer History