Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 12 August 1933

A dose of mountain dulcimer history throughout the year

Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 12 August 1933

Postby dbennett » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:47 am

First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt attended the White Top Folk Festival in Grayson county in Southwest Virginia while visiting the mountainous section of Washington County. Her father lived in Abingdon at the end of the 1800s.

The White Top Folk Festival featured Appalachian folk music held on White Top Mountain in Grayson County, Virginia from 1931 to 1939.

The year Eleanor Roosevelt visited the festival grew more than 12,000 people. Dulcimer maker Sam Russell was one of many who performed for the First Lady.

In a blog post, First Lady Visits White Top, Mack Sturgill wrote: "...Only the most talented performers of ballads, folk dance, and the most expert instrumentalists took part in the special afternoon program arranged by Annabel Morris Buchanan for her guest, Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt... When the sound of the fiddle, banjo and dulcimer had ceased, Mrs. Roosevelt lingered awhile that afternoon to talk with the musicians on the platform in the pavilion which C.B. Kearfott had designed for the festival. Then she made her way through the crowd of applauding admirers to the automobile which would take her back to Abingdon. "Someday, I want to motor through this beautiful country," she said. "and I should like to ride horseback over the trails my father covered. The day has been lovely and I enjoyed it all so much!""
Roosevelt Eleanor4.jpg
Russell Sam2.JPG
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Today in Mountain Dulcimer History