Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 12 September 1904

A dose of mountain dulcimer history throughout the year

Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 12 September 1904

Postby dbennett » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 am

Civil War vet and dulcimer maker Charles Napoleon Prichard (1839-1904) died in Cabell County, West Virginia. He was born in Lawrence County, Kentucky. On page 77 of the second edition of Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions, Ralph Lee Smith reports “a front-page obituary in the Huntington Advertiser for September 12, 1904” and continues, “This obituary states that Charles Napoleon Prichard was born in Bolt’s Fork in eastern Kentucky, served in a Kentucky cavalry unit on the Union side in the Civil War, taught school in Kentucky after military service, came to Huntington at an unspecified date, and in 1887 launched a successful advertising paper full of humorous sayings, called the Cricket. Ralph Lee Smith says Prichard built dulcimers from about the 1880s until his death in 1904. Prichard was one of two dulcimer makers that the early use of the hour-glass shaped is attributed to and for the instrument’s dissemination within parts of Kentucky, West Virginia and other parts of Appalachia.
Prichard Charles N.JPG
Prichard Dulcimer0.JPG
Last edited by dbennett on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 12 September 1904

Postby dbennett » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:16 am

Prichard Dulcimer2.jpg
Prichard Dulcimer1.jpg

On 13 Sept 2017, I received the following update on Facebook regarding the instrument above from Stephen Carney: “Hello David, I noticed that you posted the Prichard dulcimers on Facebook and mentioned the blue/green dulcimer is at Wildwood Music. That is no longer true as I purchased it from them last year. I posted this on Everything Dulcimer last year. The photo is their photo but the instrument is in my possession. Just FYI. By the way I love the work you do on dulcimer history and share many of your posts. Blessings, Steve.”

I asked Steve if he played that instrument:

"Yes, I do. It had been nailed to the wall at the music store. But [it was ]still basically sound structurally. It had belonged to Prichard's granddaughter. She called it a civil war dulcimer, but whether it is that old or her story is correct we don't know. But it is very old. I did have Warren May make a matching tuning peg."
Last edited by dbennett on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
dbennett

Re: Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 12 September 1904

Postby dbennett » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 am

Ralph Lee Smith plays his Prichard dulcimer made ca 1890
dbennett

Return to Today in Mountain Dulcimer History