Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 26 September 1927

A dose of mountain dulcimer history throughout the year

Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 26 September 1927

Postby dbennett » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:27 am

Homer Ledford (1927-2006) was born in Alpine, Tennessee. Homer was raised in the mountains of Tennessee and began making musical instruments at an early age, his first being a “match stick” fiddle, he learned to play by listening to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio.

At the age of eighteen he was given a rehabilitation scholarship to attend the John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, North Carolina. There while recuperating from rheumatic fever, he made his first dulcimer. Homer attended Berea College in Kentucky in 1949 and transferred to Eastern Kentucky University where he received a B.S. degree in l954.

He taught industrial arts for ten years in Kentucky. He resigned in 1963 from teaching high school industrial arts to become a full-time instrument maker, making other instruments in addition to dulcimers.

In 1976, he organized the bluegrass band, “Homer Ledford and the Cabin Creek Band”. Ledford died in 2006 from a stroke at the age of 79 in Winchester, Kentucky. At the time of his death Homer had made an estimated 6,000 dulcimers. Each September the Homer Ledford Dulcimer Festival is held in Winchester, Kentucky.
Leford Homer7.PNG
Ledford Homer 33.png
Last edited by dbennett on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 26 September 1927

Postby dholeton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks David
I really appreciate your Mountain Dulcimer History articles. I look forward to viewing what you will find each day.

I found this wonderful video about Homer from 2003.

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Today in Mountain Dulcimer History