Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 5 December 1910

A dose of mountain dulcimer history throughout the year

Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 5 December 1910

Postby dbennett » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 am

Leonard Glenn (1910-1997) was born in Watauga County, North Carolina. Leonard was the grandson of Eli Presnell (1845-1939) who was visited around 1885 by a “stranger from the west” (Kentucky) who spent the night with Eli and his wife and who brought the first known dulcimer to the Beech Mountain, North Carolina area. Eli traced its outline of the stranger’s dulcimer, making at least one dulcimer of his own. Leonard’s father, Nat Glenn (1886-1955), made at least one dulcimer. Leonard and his son Clifford were a bridge between traditional makers and the folk revival in the 60s and 70s.

Leonard and his wife Clara were featured on the cover of Ralph Lee Smith’s book “Appalachian Dulcimer Traditions” (1st ed). Leonard and his son Clifford began making dulcimers and banjos in the 1950s and Leonard continued to make instruments until his death. In 1992, Leonard received a North Carolina Folk Heritage Award for continuing the traditional building of mountain instruments.
Glenn Leonard.jpg
Glenn Leonard.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 69 times

Glenn Leonard & Clara.jpg
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 5 December 1910

Postby Robin the Busker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:15 pm

I did want to write a long post here but only have my phone with me. So I'll just say that the Glen slope shouldered dulcimers are a beautiful shape and I can't understand why the 'big brands' don't offer it as an alternative to the Kentucky shape? Secondly, the intonation Leonard Glen used for his fret layout was the best I've played in DAA. I've been so impressed with it that I've used it for my Heritage model. Leonard was truely one of the great dulcimer makers. He got everything right and built true musicians instruments.

Robin
Robin the Busker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Today in Mountain Dulcimer History