Has anybody heard from David Lynch?

Just share stories or offer advice

Has anybody heard from David Lynch?

Postby scivola » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:48 pm

I commissioned a new dulcimer from him late last year, but have had no communication with him since paying a 50% deposit on November 2nd. That's despite repeated emails asking for an update on the progress of my dulcimer. I see from his profile here that he last logged in on December 29th, so I'm wondering if anybody knows what's going on with him?
scivola
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Has anybody heard from David Lynch?

Postby kwl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:29 pm

David posts frequently on Facebook. He recently had a problem where several of his dulcimers were ruined because of a problem with his fretting jig. All the dulcimers were completed and were read to be strung when he discovered that the fretting was off. I have idea if your dulcimer was in that bunch. He is working to get this straightened out. I would hope that he would contact you or respond to your email.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby scivola » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info. Not being on Facebook, it hadn't occurred to me to look for him there. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and set up an account.
scivola
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby scivola » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:32 pm

How do I find him on Facebook? I've searched for various combinations of "david lynch", "harpmaker", "pershing, in", and "dulcimer" but have come up empty.
scivola
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Look for the Group called Everything Dulcimer
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby rtroughear » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:49 am

I hope I didn't jinx Dave with my comment in another thread in this forum about no recovery from wrongly placed frets. If you are out there Dave,. I didn't mean it....

Richard T
rtroughear
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby scivola » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 am

I just wanted to let everyone know that I did manage to get in contact with him, and everything is hunky-dory. Some email issue was preventing emails from going out from his server, so he had been replying to my inquiries, but I never received them.

And he says my dulcimer will probably be finished late next week, so good news all around!

Thanks everyone for the help.
scivola
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 pm

You're welcome. Glad to hear that this worked out well.

Ken
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby scivola » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Well, it has been more than a month since my last message. I have heard nothing more from David after his "it will be ready in a week" message, and I have still not received my dulcimer. I am at the point of assuming my deposit is lost and I never will receive the dulcimer.

I notice that since I placed my order, he no longer appears in the builders section of this site, and he appears to have deleted his account. I don't see him listed as a member of the site at all anymore. I'm not sure why an active builder would do that. I know that he has long had an excellent reputation in the dulcimer community - that's a big part of why I chose him to build the dulcimer I wanted. But I have to say buyer beware. My experience is that he is very communicative when discussing a build, and then he disappears once he receives the deposit. I'm out almost $300. Give your money to someone else.
scivola
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 am

David Lynch is still listed under builders. Here is the link: http://everythingdulcimer.com/builders_display.php?state=IN&filter=none

As I understand it, he is still playing "catch-up" on his orders. I do hope that this problems is eventually resolved in your favor.

Ken
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby scivola » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm glad he's still listed there. I was really surprised when I didn't see him listed. I don't know how I missed it.

Anyway, another week has gone by with no response from him. I have emailed him and messaged him on facebook, and he simply refuses to respond. How hard is it to say "Hey, XYZ happened and so your order is going to be delayed by such-and-such a time"? He's actively posting in multiple groups on facebook, so there's no reason he couldn't respond to one of my messages.

I say again, buyer beware. Either he's completely overwhelmed because one of his jigs broke and he's trying to complete back orders, or he's completely content to take your deposit money and ghost with no further communication. There's no way I would place an order with him at this time.
scivola
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Hisgirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

nm
Last edited by Hisgirl on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hisgirl
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Next

Return to Making Dulcimers