An Interesting Dulcimer Experiment

Just share stories or offer advice

Re: An Interesting Dulcimer Experiment

Postby rtroughear » Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 am

Ken, I think I'm with Jon on this one. Occasionally I want to look back on some of this stuff and find myself trawling through page after page to find what I'm looking for. Doing a search on keywords also turns up other posts that have to be filtered out. So the idea of trying to get it into some sort of coherent order appeals to me; ultimately with a table of contents and maybe even an index. I expect that I, or someone, would need to write an introduction explaining what it all is and what might be expected from it. The idea of a continuing blog is not out of the question, but I think I've basically said what I have to say. I've got to the stage now where I think I have some clue how a mountain dulcimer works and makes sound. Which was the original aim of doing experiments.

From my years of writing reports to government agencies when working on aid projects in Papua New Guinea, I know that first drafts can always be improved with review and input from co-workers, so I expect several rounds will occur, with suggestions/modifications from yourselves before it's decided what to do with it. (I don't mean "improved" in the government "Yes, Minister" sense). I'm pleased that Jon is willing to try to get it into some sort of shape - I wouldn't have done it. In other publications I've seen contrary or complementary views added as footnotes or as addenda to chapters. But as Jon notes, if they were unattributed the owners might be offended, and if they were attributed, the owners might be offended.

The question is what to do with it when we agree on form and content. The idea of an actual book is nice, but sounds complex to me, and I'm personally not that keen to get into publishing. An e-book, I have no experience with, but such an entity could be attached, for instance, to my website, or available on FOTMD and other good mountain dulcimer websites near you.

In addition to how the information is packaged, who are the expected users? Keep in mind it's all essentially about how a mountain dulcimer might work - not about how to make a good one; very little about constructional matters; nothing about playing one or the properties of wood or what tools you might need. Background info really. And every second dulcimer maker will have differing views on the same topics, so it's hardly authoritative or definitive.

Richard T
rtroughear
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 pm

OK, well you guys, have fun then.

FWIW, after a 35+ year career of writing over 30 non-fiction books (including the first textbook on desktop publishing), several hundred technical manuals, and over a thousand non-fiction articles on an international scale, I DO know just a few things about the publishing world, Jon. There is NO need to take out or mask names, no need for footnotes, no need for "release documents" -- you are quoting people, for Murphy's sake! So go ahead, waste your time, destroy any connections to discussions which have lots of meaning whether Richard wrote them or not. Any form of publication can be searched, indexed and cross-referenced, and it's a damn-site easier to do that electronically than in a paper book.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Jon » Tue May 15, 2018 11:01 am

Ken, I never saw this as a competition. Your experience is apparently different than mine-hence my hesitation in including material from other authors without attribution and, in some cases, release. There is certainly no reason why you and Richard can't produce a blog if that's your wish. Although Richard's posts are not a how to manual on how to build a dulcimer, they are certainly useful to a builder. My original purpose was to assemble the writings a form that I could use myself. If Richard find's it useful, than so be it. Ken and Frimp, I did not get a response to my emails sent vis ED to you, so after 1 June, I don't know ow I will be able to contact you.
Jon
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Frimp » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Jon, I'm also over at the FOTMD site, if you need to contact me.
John C Knopf
Frimp

Postby rtroughear » Thu May 17, 2018 8:49 am

Ken, I'm more than happy if you wanted to make the content into a blog - the information doesn't have to reside in one place only, or in one form. But in either case I can't see myself updating things in the future - I don't even update my own website. So what's here is what there's likely to be and folks can take it and use it in whatever ways they can. Jon's approach of attempting to organise by topic suits my own working methods better, but I'm also aware that many people like the chronological focus of a blog or discussion forum. So if it's not a burden to you, and you want to do it, go for it.

Richard T
rtroughear

Postby Jon » Thu May 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks Frimp. I found you on FOTMD.
Jon
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Previous

Return to Making Dulcimers