Spacers for Galax Style Dulcimer

Just share stories or offer advice

Spacers for Galax Style Dulcimer

Postby mlsa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am

Good Morning Everyone

I'm finishing up the binding on a new dulcimer and this dulcimer I'm going to build I think it's called a Galax style where it has the false bottom. I have a question and there may not be one way to do it but I thought I would ask anyway.

When you glue the spacers between the two bottoms do you glue each spacer on to one of the bottoms and let it dry and then glue the two bottoms together with the spacers between the two bottoms OR do you clamp the two bottoms together as you add the spacers. Seems like the latter would be a bit hard to do.

Also, would 1/4" be about right for the spacers as to the distance between the two bottoms?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gene
mlsa
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Re: Spacers for Galax Style Dulcimer

Postby harpmaker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 pm

I glue the blocks to the bottom then glue that assembly to the instrument.

The height of the blocks folk use is kind of a personal thing but most of the ones I've seen are around 3/8" though 1/4" would work too. However, if you were asking about putting them 1/4" apart, I'd say that was too close together.
harpmaker
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby mlsa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for your reply. That's what I did and it turned out great. I glued them to the bottom and then set the dulcimer on top of that after the spacers had dried to the bottom.

I did change the 1/4" to 3/8". It was a bit close for me for the 1/4". It was more work trying to get the spacers spaced evenly on both sides than to actually do the gluing. Just waiting for it to completely dry and then sand the sides down a bit.

Thanks again for your reply.

Gene
mlsa

Postby JohnH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Hopefully this may be viewed as 'related' ? Never having made one , I am curious as to what happens to the 'inner bottom' in terms of finish , and the relationship this might have with the fixing of the blocks?
JohnH
JohnH
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby mrchips » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 pm

I just mask off the spots where the spacers will go then just hit it a couple coats of laquer. I dont bother to to do much more than just knock off the high spots on the bottom. You dont see the inner bottom anyway so why bother with what cant be seen. Its the sealing that counts. As for the second bottom, it gets a couple coats on the side that's up and the bottom you see gets the same as the rerst of the MD.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Frimp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:23 pm

I didn't put any finish at all on the inner back of my Galax dulcimer. It just didn't seem necessary to me. I think it would be a good idea, though I haven't heard that my unfinished inner back has had any problems so far.
Frimp

Postby robert schuler » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Gene I am building a Galax dulcimer with an internal double back. The separation is 1/2". You can see the heart sound holes are placed to allow the dulcimer to rest on your lap and allow the acoustic back to resonate out...
SDC11205.JPG
SDC11204.JPG

Top pic shows the acoustic back before adding the top lower pic is the unfinished double back...Bob
robert schuler

Postby mlsa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks again for the replys. I love those hearts in your dulcimer. I just need to build and glue the peghead to the dulcimer and it will be 'finish' time. It's turned out pretty good I think. I'll post pics when I complete it.

I did forget to put any type of sealer on the inner bottom before I glued the bottom bottom. Hopefully it will hold up without it.

Gene
mlsa

Postby harpmaker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am

It will be fine Gene. If you think about it, "sealer" is really a misnomer (unless you are dipping it into polyurethane :shock: :lol: ) All the sealer does is slow down the rate of change. Unless you are exposing it to extremes in humidity and temps the wood should adapt with no problems.

JohnH: I do apply a coat of finish to the out side of the inner back. What I do is run a strip of masking tape around the edge where the blocks will eventually be and give it a shot of spray lacquer. Also, after gluing the blocks onto the outer back I mask off the tops of the blocks and give what will be the inside of the outer back a coat too.

This is just for sake of appearance.....to give it a uniform color after the rest of the instrument is finished. I found that if I don't do this I can get a shadowing effect on facing surfaces of the backs where the spray finish process doesn't reach.
harpmaker
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby JohnH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Harpmaker (and others) ! I suppose that I was just musing over the effect that one of our (UK) wetter spells might have on the untreated surface of a thin 'plate'. For many years I have (with some success?) dampened a wide surface to counter act the process of bowing. Now should I ever get to make a double back instrument I have opinions other than my own to guide me, thank you all
JohnH
JohnH

Return to Making Dulcimers