Start of dulcimer #???

Just share stories or offer advice

Start of dulcimer #???

Postby PhilC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Hopefully this time next year these boards will be the start of dulcimer number #??? Maple from a property close by. Sealed the ends with Anchorseal. How do other folks source and dry their timber?

20170908_130724_small.jpg
PhilC
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Start of dulcimer #???

Postby dholeton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I obtained a bunch of hickory, oak, and black cherry from my cousin who cleared many trees on his 10+ acre property. I probably have more black cherry than what I will be able to turn into instruments or furniture or other wood items in my life. My cousin wants me to come back for more hickory.

I obtained some walnut from a local supplier named Jeffries Wood Works in the Knoxville, TN, area. I have enough walnut for several more projects (my wife wants an end table and I want another dulcimer or scheitholt). Jeffries maintains an extensive inventory of many of the woods we like and many of the exotic woods of which we might say "What is that?". I don't need to worry about wood supply. I need to worry about having the time and the ability to work with the wood.

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Also, my cousin has his own home-built kiln. I just use the air in the garage and time.

Dave
dholeton

Postby danc9 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Stack it in your shop. One year might be a little soon for air dry, I like it seven years old (or older) if I can get it.

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9

Postby PhilC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:24 am

I've been turning bowls for a while so my little barn is full of blanks. Then since I collect more wood than I use the build up is now nicely dry. I'm hoping it will be the same with the wood that I'm collecting for dulcimers. Dave do you have info/details about that kiln?
PhilC
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 am

My cousin built his kiln with 2x4s as an addition on the south side of his out-building. If my memory is correct it's shape is similar to the attached drawing. I think it was covered in clear plastic and then he constructed shelves inside the structure for stacking the wood. I don't remember seeing any fans but he may have had unpowered turbine vents in the top. I'll ask him to send some pictures to me. The kiln gets over 100 degrees on sunny days from spring to fall. He moves the wood to/from a shelf arrangement inside the outbuilding to/from the kiln. The outbuilding is similar to what many call a pole barn. It has a dirt floor, it is not heated or air conditioned, and it has enough gaps for natural air circulation. He lives near Springfield, Missouri, so I'll also ask about the dryness percentages he obtains.

Along this same line of thought, I heard where a person dried wood to 6% and installed it in a humid laundry room and the wood swelled up. Many of us might play dulcimers outdoors in humid environments, but otherwise keep our instruments in the house with less humid conditions. What percentage of dryness is good for dulcimers?

Dave
Attachments
Kiln2.jpg
Kiln
Kiln2.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 313 times
dholeton

Postby dholeton » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 am

Attached are some pictures of my cousin's kiln. He's been able to reach very low moisture percentages (less than 6%). On an 80 degree day it can be 110 degrees in the kiln. Also, along the way, I found this website has a very informative video on kiln's and drying wood.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/08/13/how-to-dry-lumber

Dave
Attachments
Kiln3.JPG
Kiln 3
Kiln2.JPG
Kiln 2
Kiln1.JPG
Kiln 1
dholeton

Postby PhilC » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 am

Oh that is neat, yes I can see how that could work. Thanks for the link also, I'll follow that up.
PhilC
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Making Dulcimers