I have a problem!

Just share stories or offer advice

I have a problem!

Postby Tim Good Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:26 am

Since starting building this past year I am afraid I have become a "wood hoarder".
The tell tale signs are overflowing bins and barrels. Also, the hard time of cleaning the shop and just being reluctant to throw out even the smallest scrap. Its especially hard since I mill my boards and even the scraps are really beautifull pieces of wood!
I share this somewhat in jest but at the same time I am running out of storage space!
I would love to hear from others about this topic and how you handle it!

An hour spent in the shop working a dulcimer means it was a great day!
Tim Goodman
Tim Good Man
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: I have a problem!

Postby danc9 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 am

I think we all do it in some way or another. I've justified my "collecting" so I can have something to burn in my fire ring this fall! Truth be known, we have to part with the "scraps" no matter how beautiful the figure in the wood is.......

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby PhilC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:28 am

I keep small scraps of particularly well figured wood and use them to make pens. I have also boxed up such pen blanks and given them to other pen makers for just the cost of the postage. I hate seeing good wood go to waste.
PhilC
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Frimp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:45 am

I thought only I had this problem...
Yes, I too am afflicted. Tried to tidy up my shop last week, putting tools away, vacuuming sawdust and straightening things up.
Scraps of wood of every size, shape and species resisted disposal. But I managed, with difficulty, to throw some pieces out. There's a voice in my head saying "Are you sure you can't make a part for a dulcimer out of this piece you're throwing away?"
Frimp

Postby dholeton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 am

"We ALL have Problems!"

I built a "3 shelf" sort of thing out of 2x4's to store my oak, hickory, black cherry, pine, mahogany, and walnut. Alas, I didn't build it big enough to hold my scraps of dogwood.

Dave
dholeton

Postby Frimp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 am

Maybe we need to start a support group:
"Hi, I'm John, and I'm a wood hoarder..."
"Hi, John." :(
Frimp

Postby kwl » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Hmm, I have a bin full of scraps in the shop, shelves with walnut, poplar, rosewood, mahogany, and maple. Up in the attic I have walnut lumber drying and in the garage rafters there is maple, walnut, and cherry lumber. There are scraps from hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, banjo, guitar, and ukulele builds hanging around because I might be able to use that little piece of wood for something, sometime. I guess this qualifies me as a wood hoarder. Hello, John. My name is Ken.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Bob Gerard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 pm

In a strictly altruistic proposition I would be willing to relieve you of any boards of Cherry, Maple, Walnut (European or American) , Sassafras, Mahogany, Rosewood, Ebony, or any other boards which I may liberate for you.
Sincerely,
Bob
Bob Gerard
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Frimp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Don't do it, guys-- it'll only feed his addiction!

(but you could send ME any pieces of wormy chestnut you might have... you know... to get rid of them... you know...)
Frimp

Postby asterhunter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Woodaholics Anonymous. :D

A mountain dulcimer craftsman I once knew took his scraps and made some really nice cutting boards and serving boards out of them. He made them in all thicknesses and sizes, depending on the scraps available, and always used a least two different woods. It used up his scraps and gave him something else to sell at the craft fairs other than his instruments.

David Elosser
Last edited by asterhunter on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asterhunter

Postby Frimp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm gonna hit the craft shows with my unique product -- gourmet sawdust in all colors. By the pint or by the gallon.
Frimp

Postby asterhunter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 am

Frimp wrote:I'm gonna hit the craft shows with my unique product -- gourmet sawdust in all colors. By the pint or by the gallon.

Hey, in the craft stores like Hobby Lobby, you can get all kinds of empty plastic figurine bottles that are used for colored sand art... ;)
asterhunter

Next

Return to Making Dulcimers