Cross bracing needed?

Just share stories or offer advice

Cross bracing needed?

Postby crazybilly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 am

I'm working on restoring a hammered dulcimer that had a sagging top and need some advice about bracing.

The dulcimer has two braces glued to the bottom that run the length of the dulcimer under each bridge.

The question is, do I need some cross braces too? Glued to the top, perhaps, that fit neatly between the bridge braces a/o pin blocks? Or am I overthinking it and once I get the bridge braces in the right spots I shouldn't have any problems?
crazybilly
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Cross bracing needed?

Postby kwl » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:37 pm

I sent you a private message. To access it, look under "Board Index" up top here and you will see User Control Panel and (1 new message). Click on that and you will see my response. Thanks.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby crazybilly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Here's a picture of the frame and the existing braces that live under each bridge. The top sits on top of all this, and both sets of pins go down through the top into both pin blocks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daxx9j9ilj0rikw/2017-11-05%2014.38.04.jpg?dl=0
crazybilly
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby crazybilly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:27 am

Ok, one more follow-up: the Smithsonian page shows the sort of soundboard bracing I'm considering:

I've got bridge braces in place, but I'm debating about putting in soundboard braces. My inclination right now, is to go ahead and put a few in, maybe two between each bridge, just beside the sound holes and about half way down otherwise.
crazybilly
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

You're determined to keep the original soundboard? Since you're going to have to remove it to glue any braces on, why not simply replace the warped soundboard with a new one? I doubt the braces will remove any warpage of the soundboard that has ocurred over time.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby crazybilly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

I replaced the soundboard with a new one--the old one was shot and starting to delaminate. I've got the holes drilled for the pins, soundholes cut and have begun laying out where the bridges and saddles will go.

I'm at the spot now where I need to decide if I'm going to do more or less bracing, glue anything on the new top or not.
crazybilly
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Making Dulcimers