Building a Nylon string dulcimer Page 9

Just share stories or offer advice

Building a Nylon string dulcimer Page 9

Postby tukanu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:59 pm

CONCLUSION:
I strung the dulcimer up with standard classical guitar strings; #1, #3 and #4 (by the way, the tuners are geared Perfection Pegs). The volume was more than I expected, but there was a noticeable lack of sustain. With a little research on the Web, I decided on Savarez strings which are known for the sustain they produce. While I waited for the strings to arrive, I installed my Tone-Rite string vibrator on the dulcimer and let it run day and night for seven days. This simulates six months of playing time which is about the normal break-in period for a new instrument. The Tone-Rite machine is one of those happy discoveries that make a measurable difference in the tone of a new instrument. Over the seven day period I play the dulcimer each day. It is amazing how quickly the tone changes.

I installed the new Savarez strings and used the Tone-Rite machine to break them in for a couple of days. The sustain was greatly improved by the higher quality strings.
Overall, this dulcimer has as much volume as a steel string instrument. Its tone is different than a traditional steel string dulcimer, in the same way a classical guitar produces a different tone than a steel string guitar. I have included some sound samples of this dulcimer along with my traditional maple teardrop for comparison. Flat picking. I apologize for the recording quality:
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] EmeraldEyes.m4a [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 123 times ]

m.png
tukanu
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Building a Nylon string dulcimer Page 9

Postby dholeton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Tukanu
It sounds as great as it looks. The nylon strings are an excellent idea. Excellent!
Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Also
If you want to try a different brand of strings, I have had good luck with St. Augustine Blacks on a six string guitar that has no truss bar in the neck.
Dave

http://www.albertaugustine.com/classical
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby tukanu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the strings.
tukanu
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 am

Interesting build. Aspen is reallllly soft stuff, almost as bad as balsa; I hope it holds up. I made an Aspen blanket chest once. Never again!

It might have been better if you had combined all the build-along pages into a single post rather than 9 posts which can easily get lost from each other.

Every time I open this post I get a message about what to do with EmeraldEyes.m4a. I assume you set this up to plat upon open. Sure would be nice to just make it available, not try to force the tune on us every time we visit.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Making Dulcimers