Help Me Decide Which Beginner Dulcimer to Get

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Re: Help Me Decide Which Beginner Dulcimer to Get

Postby MN+mtnmusic » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:10 pm

My first dulcimer is a David Lynch made "Sweet Sounding" dulcimer. I bought it slightly-used at a moderate price. I just received by mail this past Monday a dulcimer that I ordered from Jack Ferguson of Salem, VA. I would describe this dulcimer as "Rich" toned and much different from the Lynch dulcimer. It is made of black walnut and black cherry; the Lynch dulcimer is made of birch and could be a student model. I am a beginner too and struggled to decide what I wanted in a dulcimer. I like the Lynch dulcimer but I will confess that I will probably play Jack's dulcimer more because of the sound. The Ferguson dulcimer was 4X what I paid for the Lynch dulcimer but I think well worth it. I am very happy with Jack Ferguson's workmanship. :D
MN+mtnmusic
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Help Me Decide Which Beginner Dulcimer to Get

Postby Banjimer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm glad you found a high-quality dulcimer that makes you want to play more. But remember, David Lynch also makes solid wood mountain dulcimers that compare favorably with dulcimers available for a similar cost. His student model is meant to be an entry instrument. Good enough quality to get you started and a very reasonable price. His standard and professional models have the sweeter, sustained toned that is reflected in the higher quality wood used to make them. Two different instruments.
Banjimer
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area