Dulcimer strap buttons

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Dulcimer strap buttons

Postby lbanks1952 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 am

I'm shopping around for strap buttons and came across these. Grover Quick-release Strap Locks which are shown for guitars. Does anyone know if they will work on a dulcimer?

New issue, I have a hard case and the instrument fits snug lengthwise. There is no room to add a strap button! As Gilda Radner would say, "it's always something"
Last edited by lbanks1952 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lbanks1952
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Dulcimer strap buttons

Postby kwl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I don't see why they would not work with a dulcimer. It really depends more on your strap with these. You need to have a strap with a good hole in which to insert the locking mechanism. Unless you stand up or walk around while playing I do not really see the need for these. IMO regular strap buttons would work just as well for someone who sits down and plays.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jakstall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 pm

I use these on a couple of my dulcimers. The advantage is that you can quickly and easily move a strap from one instrument to another or take it off/of when putting it into/out of the case. It is also very secure, although you need to check the nut that holds the strap on from time to time. As Ken suggests, you may have to enlarge the hole on some straps to get it onto the removable part of the button.

The disadvantage of these is changing the strap length if you use a strap that doesn't have a slider for adjustment but instead has a series of strap holes at each end to allow adjustment. Of coure, it won't work with an internal pickup whose jack doubles as a strap button.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby lbanks1952 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks for your comments. This is all new to me, my thought was, what I've seen online that I don't like is having pieces hanging off each end and the main snaps into them. Therefore leaving these short lengths attached. Rather have the entire strap removable. Does this make sense.
lbanks1952
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Most, if not all, of the hundreds and hundreds of dulcimers I've seen with straps over the years, did not have "stubs" of strap hanging off the ends. The strap unsnaps from each end leaving just a button on the instrument. Certain brands of straps may have the kind of system you mention, not I don't think I've ever seen a strap for dulcimer, guitar, mandolin or banjo, that required leaving a stub of strap on the instrument.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Quick release straps, like these from Folkcraft, have a small piece of the strap that stays on the strap buttons permanently. https://folkcraft.com/collections/accessories/products/brown-one-inch-strap-2310435

Ken
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Goes ta show what I don't know. Still don't believe I've seen such critters. I wouldn't want that either. "Quick release" isn't worth that to me (of course I don't use straps anyway...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Ken, I have straps on two of my dulcimers; the heretical modern ones.

Ken
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 pm

That's OK Ken, I won't hold it against ya!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area