Traditional Style Tips & Tricks (oxymoron maybe?)

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Traditional Style Tips & Tricks (oxymoron maybe?)

Postby Fractalfingers » Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:36 pm

Hello all, I'm an advanced-beginner mountain dulcimer player. I play in a more traditional style (strum & finger-fret but no chording). I like the dronal sound of the mountain dulcimer and I wish to keep the old methods alive. (My fingers really balk at fancy chords anyway ...hence the name Fractalfret.) I'm looking for some tips that can help me get the most out of the melody line. (strum rhythms, tunings, books, etc.) I've read a few instructional books and seen a few video's, but they all focus on more modern methods of playing. Can anyone help or is it a lost cause? Thanks in advance. Fractalfret
Fractalfingers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

melody string

Postby pickin » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:57 pm

Don Pedi is the man for you. http://www.donpedi.com/
pickin
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby KenH » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:45 pm

Hey Fractal, join the crowd! There are other "pick 'n noter" players out there like you and me, but there's not a lot written on the subject. Hey, maybe we should collaborate on a small book on the subject whattayathink? Don Pedi is supposed to be real good. There's another 'back Easter' coming to the Southwest Dulcimer Festival this fall, who is also of our persuasion... can't think of the name off the top of my pointy headLOL!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

tips & tricks info.

Postby Fractalfingers » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:44 pm

Thanks KenH, I guess there are more of us traditionalists than I thought. The book idea sounds interesting, though. If you're serious, we could talk over some of the feasibility details privately.(I wouldn't want to clutter up the regular message board.) My regular email address is available under my profile. Fractalfret
Fractalfingers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby bruce » Sun Jul 07, 2002 12:48 am

Hurray for you "traditionalists!" Can't wait to see the product of this collaboration! Bruce
bruce
Admin

traditional

Postby Gail Knapp » Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:21 am

Ken H the collaborator is at it again. Go for it Ken. Your advice sure helped me this weekend. I went back through the buzzing articles and caught up to yours re: the use of a vee file for the nut and bridges in making the slots. I used that method on this new fretboard and is worked Great. This is the place to be ED.com. We all have learned so much since Bruce started this page for us all. Thanks BruceWink GailK
Gail Knapp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby spoonsman » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:28 am

Taking using a noter or a finger as a noter and basic strumming as the definition of "traditionalism," what are some additional tips and tricks that have been learned? Other than sliding and variations of holding the noter and using different kinds of pics, I can't think of any. I would think that for genuine folk festivals, using a turkey quill and a noter might be pretty neat. BUT, I have used a noter since I first learned to play.
spoonsman
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

still learning

Postby Fractalfingers » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:17 pm

Well, I think my "tips & tricks" question has been answered. Somehow I was under the impression that playing techniques were either traditional or modern...with no room for something in between. But, my mind was instinctively trying to break out of this "black & white" thought pattern. I think what I was looking for actually falls in the middle/grey area. I have checked out Don Pedi's web site and other related links. (thanks Pickin!) Wow, very enlightening! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm going to try to attend some of Don's workshops as soon as finances permit. I now know that it is possible to both honor tradition and not be limited by it. Imho, EverythingDulcimer.com (and its members) continues to be the best dulcimer resource on the internet. Many thanks to all who have responded.Smile
Fractalfingers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Dallas Cline

Postby kwl » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:58 pm

For you pick and noter players, Dallas Cline has a beginners book that is just for those using a noter and a pick. It goes into rhythm patterns, pick direction, strumming techniques, etc. It's worth a look.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby cherylharrell » Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:59 am

That sounds like a neat book! I too am a pick & noter player. & Not just to be traditional but cuz it's easier than playing by chords. I chuck tab & just play by ear however it feels. Alot of times I chuck the heredim picka etc & use a thunb pick (I like the Herco the best as they are more like a regular pick) & some banjo finer picks & pic with them. I can just flow with the music that way instead of concentrating on strumming in addition to notering. I sometimes finger pick too. It's whatever feels good & works...
cherylharrell
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Herco thumb picks

Postby Del » Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:52 pm

Where do you get the Herco thumb picks? I can't find them locally. Thanks Del
Del
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Herco Thumbpicks

Postby cherylharrell » Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:57 am

Is there a Mars music in your area? That's where I get mine. Somtimes they have them & sometimes they don't. When they do I try to stock up on them. Good luck in finding them...
cherylharrell
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Next

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area