Johnson brand dulcimers?

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Re: Johnson brand dulcimers?

Postby philips » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Some offshore dulcimers can be very nice indeed. There are people in England, Scotland, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and Australia who make perfectly ok dulcimers. I have a friend who is a full time studio musician who has a lovely dulcimer that was made by Arthur Robb from The UK and an even slightly better sounding dulcimer from Apple Creek which was made in Europe somewhere. Both of these dulcimers come very close to my extremely nice sounding Nic Hambas dulcimer.

Over many years of playing there's one thing I've come to realize, and this applies to all instruments, really good builders can sometimes make ordinary sounding instruments and factory built so called lesser instruments can sometimes sound just as nice as expensive craftsman built instruments. This applies to dulcimers too. So the best policy is, if you can, play it before you buy it.
philips
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: Johnson brand dulcimers?

Postby frets alot » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:55 pm

philips wrote:Some offshore dulcimers can be very nice indeed. There are people in England, Scotland, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and Australia who make perfectly ok dulcimers. I have a friend who is a full time studio musician who has a lovely dulcimer that was made by Arthur Robb from The UK and an even slightly better sounding dulcimer from Apple Creek which was made in Europe somewhere. Both of these dulcimers come very close to my extremely nice sounding Nic Hambas dulcimer.

Over many years of playing there's one thing I've come to realize, and this applies to all instruments, really good builders can sometimes make ordinary sounding instruments and factory built so called lesser instruments can sometimes sound just as nice as expensive craftsman built instruments. This applies to dulcimers too. So the best policy is, if you can, play it before you buy it.

Just a heads up, this is a 8+ year old thread. A zombie thread. It's been 2 1/2 years since the OP was active on the site.
frets alot
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area