Laurel Mountain Dulcimer (used) at Elderly Instruments, buy?

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Re: Laurel Mountain Dulcimer (used) at Elderly Instruments,

Postby rojieh » Mon May 17, 2010 4:24 pm

I started out with the book "The Best Dulcimer Method Yet." It is a bit brief on actual playing technique, although there are plenty of good blogs and videos available online. I do like the selection of songs and had a fun time going through some of them. I need to force myself to read the musical notes and not just follow the fret numbers. Plus, practice my strum and rhythm!
rojieh
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Olivedog » Wed May 19, 2010 7:52 pm

I went with a friend to Laurel Mountain recently while she picked out a new 6-string. Mary was wonderful. We played three instruments that were completed and selected the one that was the prettiest (they were all lovely) and also had a wonderful voice, nicely balanced between mellow and bright.
It is walnut with a sassafras top. The six-strings really ring! Everything about this dulcimer is sweet. And the prices seem to me to be quite reasonable. I know there are many fine luthiers out there, but it's so nice to be able go to the shop! We are fortunate to have Laurel Mountain here. I only wonder who she is selling them all to as I have not been able to shake more than about two dozen CT players out of the woodwork...
Olivedog
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby pristine2 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:48 am

Olivedog wrote:We are fortunate to have Laurel Mountain here. I only wonder who she is selling them all to as I have not been able to shake more than about two dozen CT players out of the woodwork...

Mary had a nationwide market from the get-go because she was a luthier at Folkcraft/Folkroots, one of the largest makers in the country. Folkcraft sold itself to another party, who moved the company to Indiana, but Mary stayed in Winsted and started Laurel Mountain.

She's a very talented builder.

Richard
pristine2
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby cforget » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm

I had 2 Laurel Mountain Dulcimers and loved them very much. Their construction was excellent. The luthier, Mary Matarainen, used to work for Folkcraft when they were based in Connecticut. When they move to Indiana, she decided to open her own shop in CT. You could tell she worked for Folkcraft as the strum hollow looked exactly like a Folkcraft. I ordered my first of 2 and it as a scroll head and it was just gorgeous. My other one as more of a custom hourglass with ebony, inlays, special sound holes, etc. That was a beautiful dulcimer, but have sold them and moved in to different Dulcimers. Marys Dulcimers will always hold a special part in my heart as she took so much time to make sure they were perfect in every detail.
cforget
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area