Walter and me

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Walter and me

Postby gnomeeaz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:09 am

Hi there. I'm new and love to come here to learn! You guys are the best.

I got my new old dulcimer in August and I'm head over heels. It makes it hard to go to work!

"Walter" is my Walnut Valley dulcimer made in '98 as far as i can tell from the label information.

I have found my happy place with quill and noter. I've been learning from Strumelia's tabs and have been successful in picking out some tunes on my own. (The New England Conservatory training should be good for something after all! I was a bassoon performance major!)

But i am wondering if there are more noter-drone resources/books anywhere? Just wanting more more more.

Thanks for all the info. And Ken H.- you're my hero! :-)
gnomeeaz
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Walter and me

Postby KenH » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Gwarsh, thanx!

There's just not much out there other than what I've written and Lisa's N&D blog. Phyllis Gaskins has a couple of books out that explore that style of N&D -- check her website.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Re: Walter and me

Postby Banjimer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Although there are few books written specifically for noter-style playing, you can easily use just about any tablature collection out there. Books written for D-A-A are perfect because they seldom use melody notes on the middle and bass strings. Just ignore any number you see on the top and middle lines of tablature and focus on those numbers written on the bottom line. The vast majority of the time the melody can be found on the bottom line of the tablature. Numbers on the other lines of tablature are meant to fill space or to play chord-melody style, a style completely different than your stated preference for noter-drone style.

If you click on the "Tablature" button at the top of the page, you will find lots of material.
Banjimer
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area