Learning the Mountain Dulcimer

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Learning the Mountain Dulcimer

Postby macaulj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:37 am

Does anyone know of any websites where I can learn about the mountain dulcimer? Seems everything online is trying to charge me for something or another. There is lack of material on youtube from what I saw?
macaulj
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Learning the Mountain Dulcimer

Postby joe sanguinette » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:26 am

u can learn a lot right here as they say "absolutely free"
joe sanguinette
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby danc9 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 am

Just have to keep looking, there are plenty out there......

http://www.bradleylaird.com/dulcimer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj08vQUGduk&list=RDcj08vQUGduk#t=4

You need to join Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer also.

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 am

This is the oldest website on the internet related to dulcimers, and I've been here since Week 1. Do you want to "learn about the dulcimer" or "learn to play the dulcimer"? Or something else like dulcimer history, how-to-build, tab and music sources?

The basic attitude here is "Ask and ye'll be answered". There are no silly or dumb questions, just ones you haven't asked and gotten answers to.

A good place to start is the Articles section here. A number of years ago I wrote an article there called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? which is an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms, plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of the dulcimer.

That article will give you the right vocabulary when asking questions, so we both know what you're asking and being answered.

There is a fair amount of Youtube video about the dulcimer, but not a free learning tutorial that I'm aware of.

When I first started, about 40 years ago, there was only 1 book available, and no internet where you could ask and be answered in the same hour/day.

There is another website called Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer -- www.fotmd.com
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:03 am

You have received good advice from all the folks above. I really have nothing to add other than "Welcome aboard. It's good to have you here." If you have other specific questions about playing, buying, history, etc., just ask. We will either answer the question or point you to the answer.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby strumelia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 pm

macaulj wrote:Does anyone know of any websites where I can learn about the mountain dulcimer? Seems everything online is trying to charge me for something or another. There is lack of material on youtube from what I saw?

Well you already know about this site here, everythingdulcimer....which is free and has lots of helpful folks and info. :)

Additionally,
If you are interested in some free beginner TABs and playing tips for traditional or noter-style mountain dulcimer, my blog has lots of playing instructions, song histories, beginner playing technique videos, and easy tabs...all for free:
http://dulcimer-noter-drone.blogspot.com/

As someone else mentioned, there is also Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer online community, which has a active Beginners Group, a selection of 2400 videos of members playing, and many forums where you can ask questions and learn from others. That's completely free as well to join and participate: http://fotmd.com/

Happy exploring!
strumelia

Postby macaulj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:47 pm

I'm looking to learn about playing. I love this site and it is the best one on the web in regards to dulcimers. I forget where I learned about this website from, but it is great!
macaulj
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:28 pm

OK. Now the big question is "Do you already own a dulcimer, or are you looking to buy one to begin learning on? "Learning about playing, without a dulcimer in hand, is an exercise in futility.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Banjimer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:14 am

With Ken, Ken, Lisa (Strumelia), and the others tuned in, you have some very knowledgeable people ready to answer your questions. Let them know where you are at in your dulcimer-playing and where it is you would like to go. They have years of experience and a willingness to share their knowledge for free.

Greg
Banjimer

Postby Tatedulcimer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:53 pm

This is the site where I started my dulcimer journey. There are a lot of great folks on this site to help with everything from technical aspects on down. A lot of free tablature is available under that heading also. Enjoy your dulcimer!
Tatedulcimer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby GrantOlson » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm

I don't know much about online but there are lots of books out there and there's bound to be something at you library. One website I know of that deals more with dulcimer theory is Jerry Rockwell's website. You can also try dulcimer crossing. Also, I found backyard music too.
Grant
GrantOlson
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby philips » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:45 am

Macaulj, from the sound of your post it seems you're after playing lessons. If you're a complete beginner I'd recommend seeking lessons in the strumming noter drone style of playing.....you can substitute one finger for the noter if you want. It's an extremely easy way to play, and you can advance in this style very quickly without all the complexities of the various other styles. It's a fantastic way to learn, and you can then progress to other styles later on if you desire to do so. A good dulcimer is a wonderful instrument.

Do a google search with "noter drone lessons" and you'll find heaps of information.
philips
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area