Haggerty dulcimer?

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Haggerty dulcimer?

Postby avanutria » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 pm

Hello all,

I am a new member thinking about getting my first dulcimer. I have a couple of strumsticks but that's the extent of my stringed instrument experience - mostly I play Irish music on whistle and concertina. I've tried many times to learn guitar but it is not intuitive for me and I struggle with the fretting.

On looking around for a used instrument I have seen a Haggerty dulcimer online. But I have not been able to find any information on these instruments, just a little information on George Haggerty himself. Can anyone tell me about his dulcimers?

Also, it is advertised as a "G" dulcimer. Does that mean it is higher or lower than a standard D? I am guessing higher, if it follows the same conventions as whistles.

I will be stopping by a used instrument shop soon to see if they have anything, otherwise I will probably go for one of the Sweetwoods student models since I have heard so many good recommendations for them. Dave got back to me very quickly with information, too. Regardless of which I choose, I will probably have to wait till the end of the month to make sure I can afford it.
avanutria
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Haggerty dulcimer?

Postby danc9 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 am

danc9
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:54 am

George is one of the Grand Old Men of dulcimer. He's been building instruments, teachning and performing for decades, and although I've not played one, I'm sure his dulcimers are worth every penny. He hosts the annual August Dulcimer Daze, during the 4 days of summer up there in Maine :roll: :lol:

Yes a G instrument is higher pitched than a D instrument, although few of us describe them as G and D, because by changing strings you can change the range of the Keynote (bass string) of the instrument.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Marc Mathieu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:28 pm

George is a good friend of mine and he builds excellent dulcimers - worth every penny as Ken mentioned.
I've been to his festival in Southern Vermont many times since 2001.
I wouldn't hesitate to pick that one up.
Marc Mathieu

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks for reminding me Marc, George is in Vermont, not Maine. Of course from down here in sunny, warm southwest Florida, everything north of New York to the Arctic Circle just kinds runs together into "up there". :lol: :roll:
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Marc Mathieu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:38 pm

No probs Ken. They're sorta in the same neck of the woods.
Marc Mathieu

Postby Banjimer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:54 am

If I'm not mistaken George Haggerty is related to Lee Haggerty (a cousin, I think), the founder of Folk-Legacy Records. Lee Haggerty was responsible for getting Frank Proffitt recorded in the early 1960's. Although Frank Proffitt was better known for his fretless banjo playing, he was also an authentic performer on the mountain dulcimer. For those unfamiliar with Proffitt, he was the son-in-law of dulcimer builder Nathan Hicks. He also contributed some of his family's repertoire to the Frank C. Brown Collection of North Carolina Folklore in the mid-1930's. When he began playing at folk festivals in the early 1960's, he became friends with Lee Haggerty, who recorded him for the newly founded Folk-Legacy label. The Haggerty's, both George and Lee, have early connections with the mountain dulcimer.
Banjimer

Postby avanutria » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, all. Can anyone show me a photo of what a Haggerty dulcimer actually looks like? I want to try to confirm that the seller is selling what they think they're selling. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet and I can't see enough of the dulcimer in that video to identify it.
avanutria
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Marc Mathieu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Could you post a photo of that particular dulcimer?
I could have George himself look at it and identify it.
Marc Mathieu

Postby avanutria » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:59 pm

That'd be great, thank you. Here it is:

The seller describes it as "Beautiful Sweet water G Cherry four string mountain dulcimer with new strings hard case mother of pearl inlay and round sound holes. Never played." It doesn't appear to actually HAVE strings on in the photos. She's asking $200 plus $60 shipping and claims the shipping cost is accurate for my zip (from SC to Oregon) for "professional packaging to ensure no damage and shipping with insurance and delivery confirmation" - even though it's about twice as high as quotes I am seeing for other dulcimer shipments.
avanutria
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Marc Mathieu » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:05 pm

OK Great!
I'll e-mail the photo to George. He's in Florida right now at the Mount Dora Fest, so I may not get an answer right away.
As soon as I hear, I'll let you know what he says.
Marc Mathieu

Postby kwl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:33 pm

If George made it, and I'm not saying he didn't, it looks to me like it was made from a Folkcraft kit.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song"
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Next

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area