modern music on mountain dulcimer

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

modern music on mountain dulcimer

Postby Casper » Thu May 19, 2016 3:10 am

I have the book Beatles for mountain dulcimer. Are there any other books or tabs available for purchase of rock or music that is more modern?
Casper
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: modern music on mountain dulcimer

Postby kwl » Thu May 19, 2016 1:24 pm

I don't know of any specific "modern" books that are available. Of course, it depends on how you define modern. Most of the problem with finding modern music is copyright issues, but there are tab books and individual tabs that contain music from the mid-20th Century to its end. Perhaps you can give some specific examples of songs you are interested in we can be more helpful.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Casper » Thu May 19, 2016 1:48 pm

I am interested in these kinds of songs.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw ... _cveJPCTl5
Casper
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby inomini » Thu May 19, 2016 2:24 pm

With all those songs listed you may want to learn how to play by ear. Old time fiddle players have been playing by ear for years.
inomini
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu May 19, 2016 6:29 pm

inomini is right -- learn to play by ear and learn to read Standard Music Notation. Those songs are covered by copyright, There are SMN printed for some of those tunes, which you can then "translate" into dulcimer notation for you own use. Other tunes you'll probably have to learn by ear. I believe Sam does both and that's how he has created his covers of those tunes.

The last tune on that list -- Wellyn -- was written by dulcimer guru Robert Force. For both history of the tune and information about obtaining playable copy, go to www.robertforce.com
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby strumelia » Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Casper, since you have given all of Sam Edelston's YT channel as an example of the songs you want to learn...have you contacted Sam concerning your goals?
Perhaps he has written some of them down and is in the process of creating a tab book (with copyright permissions). Or perhaps he can give you some very helpful personal suggestions on how to learn particular tunes, or about his learning process.
strumelia
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Casper » Thu May 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Thank you for your kind replies.

What is SMN?

I will give that fellow a message on YouTube and see what he says.
Casper
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Judy K » Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

Casper, SMN is Standard Music Notation ... and Sam is a member on Everything Dulcimer. You can send a pm to Sam E. right here on ED. Most of the videos you listed may also be posted in the chromatic mountain dulcimer section. Check out this one.
Judy K
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Casper » Fri May 20, 2016 12:41 am

Thank you.
Casper
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri May 20, 2016 6:41 am

SMN is what some people call "sheet music" -- horizontal lines with notes and other marks on them, and words if it's a song rather than just a tune.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri May 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Sam is a wonderful player and very approachable. Contact him and see what he says.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Sam E. » Sat May 21, 2016 8:45 am

Hi, Casper --

Thanks for writing, and thanks for loving the music! I tell people that the dulcimer is an instrument with deep, rich roots ... and infinite possibilities.

I came to the dulcimer with a strong background in chords, and I recommend learning every chord you can on the dulcimer (including 2-note chords). (And learning how to transpose a song from one key to another.) This will help you strum along with songs in any popular music book.

For playing popular music, seriously consider adding a 1+ and 8+ fret to your dulcimer. It will vastly expand your possibilities, and it won't complicate the fretboard.

Personally, I do all of my own arranging, and I don't write them down for myself. I'm working on a book right now, but not ready to reveal the details yet.

I can recommend some other books of modern music, by Butch Ross http://www.butchross.com/stuff.html and John Sackenheim http://www.johnsackenheim.com/John_Sack ... ducts.html . Also, check out Tull Glazener's series at http://www.tullglazener.com/ .

Have fun, keep strumming, and let me know if you have questions.

Sam
http://www.SamTheMusicMan.com
Sam E.
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area