The Warmest Dulcimer for the lowest price?

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

The Warmest Dulcimer for the lowest price?

Postby Wellspringsing » Tue May 24, 2016 4:44 am

BS"D

Hello all,

I'm desperate to begin playing the dulcimer! It is meant to accompany my vocals, as I am singer-songwriter.

I want to play a lot of finger-style, and presumably I'll be doing much chording. I am a woman with probably average sized-hands, I do play the harp so my fingers can stretch pretty far if necessary, I should think.

I really crave a WARM tone rather than bright, but I also have to try and keep the price down as low as possible. New or used. So, what would you all recommend?

Would this be a suitable option? https://www.folkmusician.com/collection ... ound-holes

Thanks so much for any input!
Wellspringsing
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: The Warmest Dulcimer for the lowest price?

Postby GrantOlson » Tue May 24, 2016 8:07 am

I think you could talk to a builder, and they would give you an idea of what woods might give you a warmer tone.
That dulcimer looks nice.
Grant
GrantOlson
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am

Wood is only one of dozens of factors that make a dulcimer "warm" vs "bright". Other factors include the overall volume of the body and distance from the nut to the end block of the instrument.

Those Black Mountain instruments are OK (I've played a couple), but IMHO with 40 years experience, you would be better buying a first instrument from the person who builds it, and who can personally help you with getting the right instrument for what you want.

My personal suggestion would be for you to get one of Dave "Harpmaker" Lynch's Student Models:

http://www.sweetwoodsinstruments.com/dulcimers.php

You'll pay less $125), and I believe have a warmer sound; plus Dave offers trade-in value if you later decide to get one of his other models or have him build you a true custom dulcimer. I have a slightly customized Student model that Dave made for me a couple of years ago, and when I want a warm/mellow sound it's my go-to dulcimer of those that I own. Dave is great to work with, and more than willing to please his customers.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Nancy C » Sat May 28, 2016 3:18 pm

All good info, but... You might want to do a little 'hands on' shopping before you buy anything. See if there is a local dulcimer play group in town or, failing that, a nearby festival you can go to. If you ask, most folks won't object to your playing on their instrument for a bit, and this is a good way to try before you buy, and to see which instruments fit your body, your playing style and your hands.

That said, welcome to the community. Dulcimers rock!
Nancy C
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area