New here :)

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

New here :)

Postby inkdork » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 am

A few weeks ago, I decided to do some thrift store window shopping. I managed to go to 4 thrift shops and only spent $3. Then, at the 5th one, I saw this mysterious stringed instrument. I didn't know what it was but it wanted to come home with me. I went back 3 times trying to talk the lady down on price but finally paid $45 for a '96 Dulcimer Factory DF1. This post gave me some info about it and also is how I found this forum.

I previously had two ukuleles (a tenor and a concert) which I'm still learning to play. I finally got new strings for the dulcimer, and looking forward to learning it as well!
inkdork
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: New here :)

Postby danc9 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:00 am

Welcome and happy strumming to you! If you really want to get knee deep in, you might want to check out Friends of The Mountain Dulcimer too. Not a bad price to start your journey, be advised, you can't stop at just one.

http://fotmd.com/

Again, Welcome,

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:42 am

Lots of How-to information to help you learn to play and care for your new "friend". Check out my article I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? piece. It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms, plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of your dulcimer.

I Just Got A Dulcimer 2016.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby inkdork » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:19 am

I'm already on board over there, and I think I've met you both there!

I have a quick question about the tabs here though. I'm looking at Amazing Grace (the second one listed) and see some of the numbers are in parentheses. What does that signify? I understand how the tabs are read otherwise (I'm interested in drone style for now) but not those.
inkdork
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 am

I believe the way that Steve Smith writes his tab, that the parenthetic bits are alternate chords. As you may know there is no standard for tab writing and each of us does things our own way.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Steve Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Actually, that was a one-time effort 22 years ago to show a harmony on the same line of tab. Didn't work out well, and I now regret it. Sorry for the confusion!
Steve Smith

Postby inkdork » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Steve Smith wrote:Actually, that was a one-time effort 22 years ago to show a harmony on the same line of tab. Didn't work out well, and I now regret it. Sorry for the confusion!

Should I just ignore them then?
inkdork
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Yep. Ignore the parenthetics -- unless you have another dulcimer player to work with. In which case one of you plays the parenthetic numbers only; the other plays the open numbers only for a beautiful duet.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Steve Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:13 pm

You could also use them as variety after playing the regular version a time or two, or as backup for singing. Just suggestions, since everyone's so familiar with the melody. I should have had something on the tab explaining it, but the way I did tab back then made it harder to do that.

Maybe someday I'll update it and resubmit it, but right now I'm getting the tunes ready for next quarter's newsletter!
Steve Smith

Postby inkdork » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 pm

Ah! Thanks for explaining further. ;) I don't think I know anyone else who plays but there might be someone in my uke club... :)
inkdork
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby inkdork » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Another tabulature question- On this tab, I see some of them are marked with a zero- I was thinking that means open strings, but it honestly doesn't sound right to me. I listened to the clip, but it sounds like its on a midi keyboard so its not much help either.

I am happy to say I've pretty much Amazing Grace nailed! I nearly have it memorized as well. Now if only my uke would be so easy to learn!
inkdork
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Judy K » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:55 am

Inkdork, the 0 on that tab does mean to play the open melody string, if your dulcimer is tuned DAD. If you are using DAA as the tuning use the 3 shown lower. I didn't play this on a dulcimer (not one close to hand right this minute) but it sounds 'right' on a penny whistle. Just remember to follow the line for the way your dulcimer is tuned ... DAD or DAA.

Congratulations on learning Amazing Grace! :)
Judy K

Next

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area