Hi from Kansas

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Hi from Kansas

Postby doublearon77 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello everybody,

I was in Moutain View Ar recently and really got bit by the dulcimer bug. I just love the sound and really want to get me one. I'm trying to decide which one to purchase. I've been looking at the David Lynch and Bill Berg student models they both seem to have rave reviews. I would really like to try and find a nice 3 string though instead of the 4 string. Budget is around 200 tops. Any idea or leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks and I love the site.
Aaron
doublearon77
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Hi from Kansas

Postby Zira » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:30 pm

You probably already know, but you can take one string off a 4-string if you only want to use 3. The two you mentioned are both good instruments, but if possible try to hear/play one before you buy it. Just because it is a good dulcimer doesn't mean it is the right one for you.
Zira
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Hello Aaron. Welcome to the wonderful world of dulcimers. Zira is correct. You can take one string off of a 4 string dulcimer and turn it in to a 3 string. I do that on most of my dulcimers. The space for the fourth string is there if you decide to use it later on. My guess is that you can't go wrong with either of the dulcimers you mentioned. I do have a Sweet Woods student model (Dave Lynch) in my collection and am very happy with it. One nice feature if you buy a Sweet Woods student model is that you can trade it in towards the purchase of a higher end model. I am not familiar with the Bill's dulcimers, so I can't offer any advice on them.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:54 am

Hi Aaron;

I'll echo everything KenWL, my "brother from a different mother", says about Dave Lynch's Student Model. I have one in my collection of half dozen, that is my GoTo dulcimer when I need a big mellow sound.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby danc9 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:47 am

HPIM1357s.JPG
Aaron, are you going contemporary or traditional? I have a traditional model starting at $150 shipped.

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby doublearon77 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 am

Thanks everybody for the responses.

I went ahead and placed and order from David Lynch. I can't wait until it arrives!

Are there any books or videos you all recommend? I see allot on you tube but I always like to have some good books on hand.

Dan that dulcimer looks great but I think starting out I want to go contemporary.

Thanks again,
Aaron
doublearon77
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, the article I wrote a few years back called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? is an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms (so we're all talking about the same things) plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of your new friend.

I Just Got A Dulcimer 2016.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 81 times

As you'll come to discover, in the world of dulcimer (unlike guitar, mando, banjo etc.) there really is no "best" anything. Only what you prefer. And the only way you'll find what you prefer is to pick a couple books more or less at random, and see which you prefer.

Which books are "best" sort of depend on whether you want to go "Modern" with DAd tuning and chord-melody style playing; or more "Traditional" with a wide variety of tunings and Noter&Drone or Melody-Drone style playing.

There really is no discernable, quantifiable difference between a 'solid' wood dulcimer and a veneer wood dulcimer. Ask ten people and you'll get twenty opinions. But if I can't measure a difference, then it's not a difference. Dulcimers are more unique between instruments even from the same woods and same builder.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area